Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Do you need a passport to go on a cruise to alaska. I know Alaska is a part of the united states but we land in Vancouver. I know, I know dumb question but am clueless.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Actually it isn't a dumb question at all. If your cruise departs from Vancouver you will have to have passports. The only exception is for "closed loop" voyages which must begin and end at the same U.S. port. Thus, even if a cruise started in Seattle and ended at Anchorage those passengers would need passports.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 PM

Even on a closed loop, wouldn't they need a passport for some excursions? I am probably wrong, but think you might.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 PM

We went on a bus tour in Skagway earlier this year organized by the local Eagles Club. We were the token Canadians, as the bus traveled back into Canada we were asked to take our passport for our subsequent return into the US. As it turned out the bus was not checked.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Yes, for some tours which enter Canadian territory U.S. citizens need a passport, even if it is a closed-loop cruise. For example some of the tours using the White Pass railroad at Skagway require passports while others don't. I think the tour which has the train one-way and a bus the other is a passport tour, while the train up and then back down the same way doesn't need a passport.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 PM

The other very strange thing is - A Canadian cannot drive a US registered vehicle into Canada. I think it is to do with ownership and liens. It was very awkward for my friend who rented a car in Spokane not to be able to enter Canada. I know on one of the tours where a jeep is rented one of the drivers must be a US Citizen in order to drive the car into Canada, go figure. Here it is.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shor....html?groupId=SGY_14
Old 10-18-2009, 02:04 PM

Maybe they know how you Canadians drive

Just joking....

Old 10-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
For example some of the tours using the White Pass railroad at Skagway require passports while others don't. I think the tour which has the train one-way and a bus the other is a passport tour, while the train up and then back down the same way doesn't need a passport.
Yes, we were required to show passports on our excursion to the Yukon. Ours was White Pass RR one way, bus the other, but same would apply no matter how you crossed the border. I believe, but am not sure, that there is an exception for the round-trip train excursion where you do not exit the train at all... but I don't know if those go to the border.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I believe, but am not sure, that there is an exception for the round-trip train excursion where you do not exit the train at all... but I don't know if those go to the border.
That is correct. As it was explained to us when we did this tour: although we would enter Canada by a short distance (it may have been 100 yards) as long as we didn't leave the train Canada didn't consider us as entering their side of the border. Look at is as a friendly "understanding". We were warned that if we did exit the train the railroad was required to notify Canadian authorities and report any violators. Obviously they took this seriously since they didn't want to mess up the agreement.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, laugh