Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Hi everyone. My husband & I are going on the helicopter ride to the dogsled camp in Skagway this coming week. I am very afraid of flying and was wondering if anyone had any info. on the helicopter itself? Is it very bumpy? How many people can fit into one? Are you crammed in there like sardines?

ANY info would be greatly appreciated. This is something we have wanted to do for years and I am trying so hard to overcome my anxiety.

Also, the website for the helicopter said something about them weighing you before you board.... is this true?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

Hi Kristirn75,

My husband and I did the ERA helicopter glacier/dogsled tour in Juneau a couple of months ago, you will love it! The helicopter holds 5, including the pilot. It's like putting 5 people in a smallish car. The ride was not very bumpy and the view is incredible! I'm sure you will be a little nervous, but afterwards you'll want to to it again! They do weigh you because in helicopters they have to distribute the weight evenly. They will place the passengers so the weight balances the helicopter better.

It is the most amazing tour and the dogsled camp is a wonderful experience. You will actually ride on the dogsled for about an hour across the glacier. Here is a picture of our dogsled ride. I was sitting in the very front of the sled when I took this picture.

What helicopter company are you going with? Here is a picture of the helicopters coming to take us back to Juneau. They are very professional and will take good care of you.
Have a wonderful time and report back to us.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Great pics! We flew on ERA last week and were impressed by their service. We did not take the dog slead option, but took the 4 glacier w/landing option which was breathtaking in it's scope and beauty. Our pilot pointed out the dog slead camp on the glacier below as we flew back to the ERA heliport on the river. Quite a ride!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Kristirn75,

I hope you're ready to go now with these rave reviews! One thing I forgot to tell you is that you won't be able to take your purse on the helicopter. They will check it at their facility. Be sure you have your sunglasses and camera. Do not leave them in your purse! My husband and I forgot our sunglasses in my purse and the snow is very glaring. You may or may not need gloves, I would bring them just in case and put them in your jacket pocket.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Thanks so much for all the info!! We booked the tour through Carnival and I think the name of the company is alaska helicopter tours. That's the name of the website anyways.

I am excited, just really nervous too! We saw this on the travel channel a couple years back and once we decided to do the Alaskan cruise that we had to do this excursion, even though it is quite a bit of money.

My husband is a large man, so I am kind of worried about him being too large to go on the helicopter. That is why I asked about if they weight you. I hope he is under their weight limit so we can both do it... do you know anything about that? I read something about if someone is over 250lbs you have to pay extra or something, but I am not sure how that works.

thanks again for all the help you have given me!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

kristirn75,

I'm not sure how the weight restriction works. Here is a link to what I believe is the website of your helicopter company: http://www.alaskahelicoptertours.com/
You can contact them and get more information about the weight restriction. Actually, I just noticed that they tell you to contact your cruise line to get more information.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:15 PM
RE: Weight 250#

I recall that on the bus ride over to the heliport from the ship that the bus guy's assistant asked each of us how much we weighed (he asked the gals in a low, subdued vioice) and indicated that 250# was the max. From this I assumed that they just took your word for it that you did not exeeed 250.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Emmmm yes, I fly on helicopters all the time and they are not scary. Dont think that you will be nervous or sick because you will just end up making yourself sick. Helicopters are safe for everyone, including yur mom. Stop worrying and have a good time. Im sure you dont need to worry about your husband's weight

Don't forget, HE is watching you

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, alaska, bumpy, carnival, carnval, compare, dog, dogsled, excursion, excursions, helicopter, helicopters, review, reviews, sled