Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 12:58 PM

Hi I was hoping someone could help me out. My family is in the midst of deciding on a cruise but we're having a port problem. Is Glacier Bay or Hubbard Bay better? Is Glacier Bay so thrilling that it's worth booking a cruise over? ANY help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 05-06-2003, 12:58 PM

Hi I was hoping someone could help me out. My family is in the midst of deciding on a cruise but we're having a port problem. Is Glacier Bay or Hubbard Bay better? Is Glacier Bay so thrilling that it's worth booking a cruise over? ANY help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:36 PM

Don't pick a cruise just because you think you're going to Glacier Bay. The government only allows a certain amount of ships in and out, to protect the environment. We went thinking we were going into Glacier Bay in August, 2001. They cancelled our ship and others out 2 weeks before sailing, while others got in. We're going again in September, and sure hope we get in this time. Hubbard is very beautiful also, so you'll be OK with either, just don't count on it.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:16 AM

In 2001 as Sue said they did change the number of permits allowing ships into Glacier Bay and some did get canceled that year. There should be no cancelations this year unless they change the number of permits again.

I have been to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. They are both very beautiful. The biggest problem is if the Glaciers are calving a lot you sill not get close due to the amount of ice flow in the fjord. We have always had better luck getting closer to Marjorie Glacier in Glacier Bay than we have to Hubbard Glacier.

As I said you cannot go wrong either way but due to the fact Hubbard is so much larger the ice build up can prevent the ships from getting close at times.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, bay, college, cruise, cruising, fjord, glacie, glacier, glscier, hubbard, hunnard, review, reviews, versus, vs