Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:21 PM

Going Vancouver to Skagaway in July and wondering if we need to book shore excursions now, or wait until we're on the boat, or even the day of(?) to assure good weather.

Do these fill up? Especially whale watching and the Glacier Trek, also White Pass Railway.

Thanks! It's our first experience.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:56 AM

These are all pretty popular excursions. I would recommend that you prebook to assure that you can get them. If the excursion is cancelled because of weather, you get refunded if you book through the ship.

Western Caribbeam Carnival 2005

Eastern Caribbean Holland America 2006

Alaska Diamond Princess 2007

Western Caribbean NCL Jewel 2008

Southern Caribbean Holland America Westerdam 2008
Old 06-15-2006, 10:42 AM

I've done White Pass Railway both up and down the mountain, and loved it. Some in our group did an excursion where you take the train up, and then bicycle down. I would imagine that is more weather-sensitive than taking the train in both directions. Don't miss the little museum of the gold rush they have in Skagway.

Also, I did whale watching (and salmon spawning watching) in Juneau, while others' flightseeing excursion was canceled due to weather.

You really have nothing to lose by booking in advance. Most ships let you cancel with some advance notice, and as was mentioned, if they cancel the excursion due to weather, you can choose something else or get your money back. Some of these excursions do fill up.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
excursion, fill, pass, railway, white