Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM

Been busy here but we bought a Cannon XTI 10.1 megapixel and we did have the EF lenses from the other camera. I'm having trouble convincing myself the helicopter/dogsled tour is worth it, were paying $655 ea. for our cruise and Princess wants $539 ea. for this 1 tour, the numbers aren't adding up. Any advice
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GirlieGirl:
CJO, Tracy Arm Fjord is beautiful, but it is not a glacier, it was about 800 years ago....
Tracy Arm Fjord actually has 3 glaciers visible while cruising. Sumdum Glacier, right at the entrance to Holkam Bay, and the twin halves of Sawyer Glacier at the very head of the fjord. Just past where your picture was taken, the excursion boats take a left turn, then a right, and you're looking at both Sawyer glaciers (if it's not foggy.)

Personally, I don't like cruising Tracy Arm on a large ship... small boat excursions that can get "up close and personal" with the ice (and bears, goats, sea birds, seals, etc.) are always my choice. When my friends and family choose a cruise itinerary, I always try to steer them toward the itinerary that gives at least 10 or 11 hours in Juneau to allow for one of two excursions into Tracy Arm. Heck... the weather is so nice this week, and I'm all excited talking about Tracy Arm, I think I'll go visit right now! (Definitely a "perk" of being local!)

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, bay, camera, cruise, day, glacier, golden, inside, lense, norwegian, passage, princess, reviews, shat, star, tour