Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 PM

We're trying to book our cruise. There is a $250 difference per person between 2 ships one says Tracy Arm, one says inside passage. I seem to see most people choosing inside passage, what's the difference.
Thanks all
Old 05-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Hello CJO, and welcome to cruise-chat;

Tracy Arm is not an alternative itinerary to the Inside Passage; it is another place to view glaciers besides Glacier Bay.

There are basically two types of Alaskan itineraries: Inside Passage, which go round trip from Seattle, Vancouver or San Francisco; and those that cross the Bay of Alaska, either Northbound (usually Vancouver to Anchorage) or Southbound (the reverse).

Some visit Tracy Arm; others, Glacier Bay.

So there is some other factor in the price difference.

Prices for Alaska can vary greatly according to date-even on the same ship.

If you could give us some more information, ship, date, itinerary, I'm sure we can help you sort it all out.

Rick
Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks for your reply Rick. I see you posting a lot here. We were looking at cruising 6/14-21 on either Golden Princess or Norwegian Star with the following itineraries. Thanks for your help.

Chris

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART
Sat Jun 14 Seattle, WA 4:00pm
Sun Jun 15 At Sea
Mon Jun 16 Juneau, AK Noon 10:00pm
Tue Jun 17 Skagway, AK 6:00am 8:00pm
Wed Jun 18 Tracy Arm (Cruising) 8:00am 1:00pm
Thu Jun 19 Ketchikan, AK 6:00am 12:30pm
Fri Jun 20 Victoria, Canada 7:00pm 11:59pm
Sat Jun 21 Seattle, WA 7:00am

or

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART
Sat Jun 14 Seattle, WA 4:00pm
Sun Jun 15 Inside Passage (Cruising)
Mon Jun 16 Ketchikan, AK 7:00am 3:00pm
Tue Jun 17 Juneau, AK 7:00am 1:30pm
Tue Jun 17 Sawyer Glacier (Cruising)
Wed Jun 18 Skagway, AK 7:00am 5:00pm
Thu Jun 19 Prince Rupert, Canada 4:00pm 10:00pm
Fri Jun 20 At Sea
Sat Jun 21 Seattle, WA 8:00am
Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Golden Princess
Hi CJO and Welcome to Cruise Chat.
The only differences in the Cruise is the Foreign Port. One is Victoria, the other is Prince Rupert.
Sawyer Glacier is in Tracy's Arm.
I have not been to Prince Rupert, but Victoria is beautiful that time of year.
Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:34 PM

By the Way Hal does a 7 day cruise out of Vancouver. While it does not list Tracy's Arm on the itinernary it goes there and to Glacier Bay. We did that Cruise Last year on the Zaandam. We have also done on from Seattle on the Princess Sun. I think the HAL Cruise was a better deal. You will enjoy either of them.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Tough choice; both great ships and good itineraries. I guess it's no secret here that I'm a Princess fan. But I have a couple of good friends whose judgment I trust tell me they loved Norwegian Star. And it looked very nice from their photos.

I think Victoria is a much better choice than Prince Rupert. And the Princess itinerary gives you more time in Juneau and Skagway. So I would have to say I prefer the Princess itinerary.

I have absolutely nothing against NCL or Noregian Star, but after 30+ years of satisfaction with Princess, I think you know which ship I recommend. My wife was on Golden Princess recently and said everything was as great as it has always been.

So either ship will give you a wonderful cruise, but I see some definite advantages in the Princess itinerary.

Hope this helps a little. Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide; or we're here if you have any more questions.

Rick
Old 05-04-2008, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
And the Princess itinerary gives you more time in Juneau and Skagway. So I would have to say I prefer the Princess itinerary.
I agree. Also, because Itinerary #2 leaves most of the Alaskan ports relatively early, you'll need to wake up very early to get the most out of your visits. The only exception is Ketchikan. What are some of your plans for the ports?

And, welcome to cruise-chat.com!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:13 AM

Thanks to you all for the info. It is our 25th anniversary and the same for a couple were going with. It all looks so fun (and expensive) but it might be the only time we get there. We'll definitely do the White Pass Railroad, the rest is up in the air. My wife wants to helicopter and dog sled, I'd like to fish. The zip line and kayaking sound like fun. Of course we'll be taking a million pics, I talked my wife into buying a new Cannon digital camera as the lenses from our 35mm will fit it. Seeing our itinerary if any of you have suggestions that fit in well with port times all info. will be greatly appreciated. BTW after hearing from you I'm sure we'll be doing itinerary 1 on the Golden Princess.
Thanks
Chris
Old 05-04-2008, 01:42 PM

CJO, Tracy Arm Fjord is beautiful, but it is not a glacier, it was about 800 years ago. Here is a picture of it from a year ago:

I highly recommend the helicopter/dogsled tour. It is an amazing tour and worth every penny. As I mentioned in another post in the Alaska thread, we did the ERA helicopter/dogsled tour. Unlike other dogsled tours, this one you actually get to ride on a dogsled for about 45 minutes on top of a glacier. It was the most memorable tour I have ever taken.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJO:
Thanks to you all for the info. It is our 25th anniversary and the same for a couple were going with. It all looks so fun (and expensive) but it might be the only time we get there. We'll definitely do the White Pass Railroad, the rest is up in the air. My wife wants to helicopter and dog sled, I'd like to fish. The zip line and kayaking sound like fun. Of course we'll be taking a million pics, I talked my wife into buying a new Cannon digital camera as the lenses from our 35mm will fit it. Seeing our itinerary if any of you have suggestions that fit in well with port times all info. will be greatly appreciated. BTW after hearing from you I'm sure we'll be doing itinerary 1 on the Golden Princess.
Thanks
Chris
Now you are talking, Canon is my camera of choice. I am sure you checked it out but not all 35mm lens will fit digital cameras. You will probably need an "EF" lens. Also you will probably lose a little in focal length. Most digital camera are cropped sensors. In Canon that means 1.6 cropped. That means if you have a 24mm lens it will be a 38-39mm on a cropped sensor.
Take lots of storage and take lots of photos they are cheap.
BTW which Canon did you get?

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, bay, camera, cruise, day, glacier, golden, inside, lense, norwegian, passage, princess, reviews, shat, star, tour