Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Hi, I am cruising on the Sapphire Princess from Vancouver to Whittier July 26-August 2. What kind of weather is most likely? Do we need warm clothes or cool clothes or both? Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 AM

The clothing option depends a lot on what climate you are used to. If 65 degrees is not cold to you, then perhaps no jacket and bring the shorts. I see this often in California during winter when the "snow birds" from the north are here in shorts and we are in our winter wear. They tell me that they come from very cold areas and 65 is very comfortable to them, but I am cold.

We are from Southern California and we consider Alaska cool to cold for us, so we prepare with sweaters, long sleeve shirts and a jacket for back up. Of course the evenings will be colder and there is always a chance of warmer days, so think about layers of clothing to adjust up or down.

Also, be ready for the rain and the mosquitos.

We will be on the Diamond Princess after you, with our cool weather attire.

Have a great trip.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Always take things that can be layered so you can adjust to the temperature and weather. I wouldn't show up with a parka and balaclava, but would have a sweater or two, a windbreaker or light jacket, and a small umbrella. It may be t-shirt comfortable but bringing the items I mentioned would give you the ability to adjust. Single items that are bulky (like a parka) take up luggage space and are not a good idea.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 AM

We just returned from Alaska (Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines, Tracy Arm) & we found the weather to be just slightly cool. When we were at Tracy Arm I'll admit it was on the cold side but since we flew to San-Fran to get the ship we didn't have room for a heavy parka as did the people who live close by & managed to do without for a few hours with a sweat shirt & light jacket. We also had our light weight poncho's but didn't need them on our trip- A few days before we arrived they had very heavy rain in Ketchikan but we lucked out. In a pinch you can get a free poncho at Diamonds International if you're in town. The misquotes weren't all that bad during the day even on some of the hiking trails but if you're there early morning of late in the day I'm sure you'd want some repellent. We've got worse here in Florida early in the morning.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, bring, california, carbeian, clothes, clothing, cruise, cruises, cruising, jue, july, kind, late, temperature, weather