Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 12:08 PM

I am taking my first Alaskan cruise very soon and, like many others, am overwhelmed by all the excursion options.

Where is the best place to take a glacier helicoptor tour? Juneau or Skagway?

In Skagway is it best to take the train both ways or just one way and bus the other? I've been hearing that you sit on the left side of the train. Silly question, but I assume that is from the perspective of sitting on the train?

What about Misty Fjords in Ketchikan? Should I take the cruise or a flightseeing tour?

Everything looks so amazing. I am wanting to do it all. I know anything I choose will be fantastic, but I wanted other input!

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

Hi kimfer00,

Welcome to cruise-chat! We recently took our first Alaskan Cruise and did the helicopter glacier/dogsled tour in Juneau. It was through ERA helicopters. They flew us over various glaciers and then we landed on a dogsled camp where we got to ride the dogsled for about 45 minutes (my husband actually got to be one of the mushers on our team). It is an experience that I would recommend to anyone, it was an amazing tour. If you want more information just let me know. I know you can have the same type of experience in Skagway, but that was not one of our stops, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the Skagway tours.

What cruiseline are you going on? We went on Princess and booked this excursion through Princess.

Here is a link to my online photo album so you can see what Alaska was like for us. It is an absolutely breathtaking experience. http://travel.webshots.com/album/559114699QRoTvk
Old 09-07-2007, 04:41 PM

Which side you set on depends if you or going up or down.
This is the left side going down

This is the right side going down.

We were lucky and our train/car was only half full. We could move back and forth as we wanted to.

You will want to go outside to the observation deck. That is where the real view is!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks! All the pictures were wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

I would love to do the dogsledding ride, but it's a little too pricey. There are so many things that I want to do, but my DH tells me I can't do the most expensive tours at each stop!

Kim
Old 09-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Well, he's probaby right! Figure out what you want to do the most and splurge on that, that's what we did with the glacier/dogsled tour. There are so many things to do, you'll have a great time whatever you choose.

When are you leaving?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Hello. Two julys ago, we were in alaska for a cruise. Our flightseeing tour was cancelled that morning, due to decreased visibility. So, maybe a Misty Fjords cruise would be safer, I can't imagine why they would cancel that. While the flightseeing needs good weather. Maybe, other people have more input on this. Hope this helps. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Banned

kimfer00,

Lil' Lori brought up a good point. We had originally scheduled our helicopter tour of the glaciers for 10:30 a.m. All helicopters were grounded because of the weather. We finally caught the first helicopter out at 2:30 p.m.! The weather can be hit or miss in Alaska.

Also, here is a great website to check the different port cams in Alaska. When you click on the link, I have it lined up to show Juneau's port cam. The colored box on the left is set to show all the ports in Alaska and the United States, just click on each city to see their port cam. It will give you a really good indication of the current weather in each port. http://www.kroooz-cams.com/USindex.html

Have a wonderful time on your cruise to Alaska and please come back and tell us all about it!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 PM
We've taken the train in Skagway up and back twice now and will do it again in June....first time there was almost 8 feet of snow...May 6th, second time was in June and hardly any snow...but you do switch sides...that way you get to see both sides...and I always just stand on the platform between cars...You will love it...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
alaskan, carnival, cruise, excursion, helicoptor, place, sit, ssuggestions, suggestions, tour, where