Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 01:15 PM

We want to do a helicopter ride during our cruise in August. The Princess tours excursions include several glacier visits from Juneau. Has anyone done them and can help us with the level of ativity needed. We will probably do either the 1 hour or 2 hour hike - but how strenuous is the 2 hour hike -is 1 hour enough?
Also , is it better to go for the earliest or latest times available -or does it just depend on the day - are these trips cancelled a lot with the weather?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Hi. We did the helicopter glacier walkabout tour. We were flown in, were able to walk around for 20 minutes. It was awesome being on the glacier. There are lots of deep, blue crevices. The surface of the glacier is VERY uneven. The helicopters flew off, then came back to get us. It was awesome, hearing them fly back along the glacier to pick us back up. It reminded me of "Apocalypse Now", minus the music. We were originally scheduled to do a float plane to a glacier lodge, but is was cancelled due to weather. This was the second week of last july. Hope this helps. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-05-2006, 05:31 AM

We did the helicopter trekking, with a 2 hour walk on the glacier. That was just enough time to walk and explore and have pictures taken with our guides and the family. I do have arthritis and chronic fatigue and at first, I was just a bit short of breath and tired, but became adjusted to the walk. Iím so glad that I did it. I was with my husband and two sons in their mid 20's and we all enjoyed it. It was one of the best experiences ever and highly recommends it.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:49 PM

hello...any on ewho too k the helicopter trip and is fat....was it too difficult????i know it costs more but did you have a hard time boarding....
Old 05-10-2006, 03:26 AM

There is a weight limit for each person of 250 pounds (we traveled in May of 05). We received a call just prior to the trip to verify our weight and if my memory serves me right, they checked our weight when we arrived at their station. Seating is also arranged in the helicopter according to weight. My oldest son was just under 250 and is 6'4" and you do have a limited amount of room to get into the seats.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:27 AM

thanks joan.. i know there is weight and seating limits....thanks again.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 PM

I too did the Princess Glacier walkabout tour & loved it.
If you use the link to my webshots albums you will find loads of pictures to get a preview:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sunprincess8

The Juneau weather is so varied. I had rain both times I was there. I did my tour in the afternoon based on other activities planned.

Good Luck & Enjoy your cruise.

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 05-10-2006, 08:03 PM

sunprincess. i did view your site...nice photos..and the ship looked great...we are on carnival.still not sure i should try the helicopter trip as i am size 24.....anyone out there plus sized who can guide me...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:57 PM

HI Crafty1,

Glad you enjoyed the photos.
I think you'll be ok for the heli tour. It's not too high of a step to get in & out.
Is that your main concern??

Cathy
Old 05-12-2006, 08:34 AM

well i am skipping the flights....but that is ok as it was not my favorite..the others are going...i want to pan for gold..the most...but thanks for your support. m

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, discount, float, glacier, helicopter, helicopters, juneau, limit, norwegian, plane, ratings, review, reviews, tour, tours, walkabout, weight