Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:45 PM

We are booking our land excursions and I am looking at the Rainforest & Canopy Zipline Expedition - my hubby is eyeing the Misty Fiords Seaplane Expedition. Which is better? We both want to share a memorable experience. Does a slight knee problem tip the scales either way? Comments from anyone that has done either would be very helpful in deciding. Thanks!

[IMG:left][link=http://www.cruisetickers.com/][image noborder]http://www.cruisetickers.com/ticker/9443691113/ticker.png[/image][/link][link=http://www.CruiseTickers.com]Free Cruise Tickers[/link][/IMG]
Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Hey Napa,

Since you can use zip lines anywhere, I suggest the give the Misty Fiords a whirl.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:54 AM

Best advise! There is zipline in Juneau too. Do the Misty Fjords (a must!) in KTN and the zipline here in JNU.

www.alaskazip.com

See you in Juneau!!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 AM

Now now... let's be fair here. There are TWO zipline tours in Juneau.
www.alaskazip.com is the alpine tour up by Eaglecrest Ski Area, and www.alaskacanopy.com is the tour over by the Treadwell Gold Mine ruins.

I don't have a "favorite" of the two, but Alaska Canopy Adventures uses a jet boat to get you from downtown to their trailhead. I always choose boating over busing if given a choice!

There's also N. America's longest and fastest zip ride over at Icy Strait Point (Hoonah)... www.icystraitpoint.com/excursions_zip.html

My point is that there are MANY options for zipping in SE Alaska. Fit it in where your schedule allows.

It's also very common advice to suggest splitting up for the tour that you each want to do. The "experience" that you'll share is the wonderful dinner conversation while you relate your adventures to each other... to each their own.

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 AM

We did the float plane tour and it was great. The pilot is very knowledgable and you wear head sets so you can hear everything said etc. The views are breath taking and, you are very comfortable. We and our freinds did it and we all have some problems walking/ climbing, so it was the best experience for us. next time we do the helicopter!

Emerald Princess-11/30/08
Celebrity Century-1/8/09
Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 AM

Does anyone know if there is a zip line tour that does not have a 10 to 11 years old age restriction? My son is 7.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 AM

There's Alaska Canopy Adventures in both Ketchikan AND Juneau, Alaska Zipline in Juneau, and the newest zipline run by the Icy Strait Point company. You'll probably have to call all of them and just ask directly.

It's got a little to do with legal liability, although mostly it's a weight issue. If your 7 y/o is much less than 50 lbs or so, there might not be enough momentum to get the lines going, and they could get "stuck" in the middle... Also, there's an issue of leg strength to "catch" one's self at the bottom.

If it's truly a "no-go", you'll want to include the young one in the alternative planning... maybe steer their interests a bit toward fishing or whale watching?

The Duck Tour in Ketchikan is just plain "neat"... riding in a bus that drives into the water and becomes a boat. I'm not a fan of bus tours, but my kids and I get excited every time we get to do that one...

-Case

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, caribbean, floatplane, juneau, ketchikan, line, lines, lining, review, reviews, royal, seaplane, tour, tours, zip, zipline