Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
Funny, I never seem to remember much of my visits to the Red Dog.
I remember this piano player, that made fun of everyone that came in or exited the saloon. PRICELESS

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
If that was anywhere between 1974-1978 that was possibly me!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
If that was anywhere between 1974-1978 that was possibly me!
Sorry dude, 1996

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 02-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

Juneau: If you have kids (under 15 or 16), they have a s trip that takes you to a river and a gold panning excursion. Yes, the pans are salted, but the younger kids especially enjoy this. A silly sidenote on this excursion: we wanted to do something just for our boys,so we did this excursion. For those who don't want to get near the river, the old "sourdough" has a couple of old wine/whiskey barrels full of water/silt for sifting your unsalted pan...my wife wasn't all that thrilled about kneeling down next to the river AND she figured there must have been tons of impatient kids who had dumped much of their salted pan in the barrel. So, she dug up some silt, and after two or three refills, and some patient sifting, she actually came up with a fingernail sized gold nugget which now hangs as a pendant around her neck. You should have seen the old "sourdough's" face when she showed the nugget to him. His response was priceless--"where'd you find THAT!" My wife told him in the river, which of course was slightly not true, but you know the old "sourdough" was panning at river's edge later that afternoon....TRUE STORY!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Oops, got too wrapped up in Juneau, forgot about Ketchikan and Skagway. Ketchikan: the combo 4x4 and canoe trip to the rainforest was a great excursion. Some of the roads were paved, the others made it tough on the kidneys, but still fantastic. The canoe trip ended with hot chocolate and smoked salmon. Again, a great trip for kids, and kids at heart.

Skagway: Although great scenery, the White Pass Railroad was not as great as I'd hoped. For one, you really couldn't see too much on half the trip, unless you tried to get back to the deck on the rail car which was packed with rude people. If you more or less stay in your seat, half the trip (going up or coming down, depending on which side of the train you sit), you have a cliff wall about 15 feet outside of your window at which to look-or look through way too many people's heads at the beautiful scenery on the opposite side of the train, or be patient and get it on the way back. The one real negative, especially towards the end of the trip was the heavy, heavy deisel odor. Also, no A/C in the rail cars; very hot when we went...If I were going to do it again, I'd rent a car.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Fairbanks- the Riverboat Discovery and ElDorado Gold Mine both run by the same company, you can find them on line. Both well worth the trips.

Closed Thread

Tags
car, cruises, excursions, haines, juneau, pricess, rental, skagway