Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 PM

We are booked for an Alaska cruise on Rhapsondy of the seas in July and one full day is crusing the Tracy Arm Fjord. I have absolutly no idea what to expect and would appreciated any input that you may have. Is this best seen from the top deck or relaxing on the balcony? I hope there are many "Kodak" moments but I suppose that all depends on the weather.

Any ideas on how to make this special?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 AM

h2oski - We just returned from our Alaskan Trip on May 3rd. We cruised through Tracy Arm Fjord. What a beautiful sight! There are many Kodak moments.
It is huge snow capped mountains rising out of the calm water. Because of the time of year, we saw many little waterfalls because of melting snow. We also saw the glacier, although I don't remember the name.
Some had suggested that we have breakfast on the balcony...others said it was too cold, but in reality, it was perfect. We had fantastic weather.
Don't worry about whether you will see everything or not...the ship turns around so that you can see everything.
It is truly spectacular. Have a great time!

Read and post cruise reviews

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Just my opinion, but the bigger the boat you visit Tracy Arm aboard, the less the experience will be. I've always enjoyed pulling up close to the larger icebergs so you can touch them. The bald eagles perched on top will surely fly off well before a cruise ship gets within 1/4 mile. Only the small boats can get you close enough to actually TOUCH the fjord wall. Seals will have slipped off their icy perches well before a large cruise ship gets into view, whereas the small boat tours often have to slow down so they don't startle the sleeping animals by approaching TOO close!

No matter what boat you're on while visiting Tracy Arm, be sure the captain can stop for some whale watching along the way. The humpbacks and orcas have been all over the area just North of Tracy Arm since mid-April this year. It's probably also worth asking if your boat can stop for 20 minutes or so at Taku Harbor. This is, at least IMO, one of the most scenic small harbors in SE Alaska. It's one of those "Kodak Moment" places where you just CAN NOT take a bad photo.

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old 06-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks so much CanCan and cruzinalthetime. Excellent feedback!

I can't wait!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Here is a great link to Tracy Arm

http://www.pbase.com/devonshire/tracy_arm
Old 06-13-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by h2oski:
We are booked for an Alaska cruise on Rhapsondy of the seas in July and one full day is crusing the Tracy Arm Fjord. I have absolutly no idea what to expect and would appreciated any input that you may have. Is this best seen from the top deck or relaxing on the balcony? I hope there are many "Kodak" moments but I suppose that all depends on the weather.

Any ideas on how to make this special?

Thanks.
h20ski
There will be many Kodak MINUTES. Here is a link to some videos I took in June 2006. The were taken on the Sun Princess. They will give you an idea of the size of the Arm. A few disclaimers here . I am not a pro by any means. These were not taken with a video cam. They were taken with one of my digital camera, a Canon S2IS. It only take short clips, but serves me well.
My Aunt and Uncle enjoyed the view from their Balcony. I think the top Deck is the best.
Enjoy your trip.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:07 PM

Just got back from my Inside Passage cruise. We had to bypass Tracy Arms due to the ice. I was dissappointed at 1st, but then the Captain took us to another spot, and it was breathtaking! dont be surprised if your captain has to re- do things,,, ice can make it bumpy!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 PM

I was on Rhapsody
Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
ice can make it bumpy!
I guess you are referring to our hitting some ice that shook the whole ship that morning at Dawes Glacier. That was a little bit unnerving. We were on our balcony immediately behind the port bridge wing. Captain Bjorn immediately came out and looked aft and down at the waterline. He saw me, smiled and went back inside.

I guess it happens all the time but I wasn't expecting it.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 PM

YEP! we were on deck 11... and heard all the glass chattering.. exciting, but a little scary for a 1st timer!

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, arm, arms, cruise, fjord, location, port, review, reviews, rhapsody, tours, tracy, tracys, visiting, weather