Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2004, 03:42 AM

This will be our first cruise to Alaska and may be last. Can someone tell me which is the best and next best. Also which are the best companies to use. We are both in our mid fifties. Thanks !
Old 05-23-2004, 03:42 AM

This will be our first cruise to Alaska and may be last. Can someone tell me which is the best and next best. Also which are the best companies to use. We are both in our mid fifties. Thanks !
Old 05-23-2004, 03:44 AM

By best I mean which places to go. I see inside passage and other definitions and am wondering which is best? Also which cruise lines are best. Thanks sorry I wasn't clearer first post.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:14 PM

I have cruised Alaska multiple times and I just returned this week from a back to back cruise in Alaska.

The difference between an Inside Passage cruise and a Gulf of Alaska cruise is that generally the Inside Passage cruise is usually a roundtrip cruise. On most every cruise you will hit Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, however on a roundtrip cruise you may hit Sitka and some of the cruise lines are now trying a couple other ports.

For what it is worth I feel a Gulf of Alaska cruise that takes you all the way between Vancouver and Ankorage is the best choice. I feel you miss the best sites when you do a roundtrip cruise. The roundtrip is beautiful but IMHO the best sites are past the Inside Passage. On a Gulf of Alaska cruise you will hit Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway and either Seward or Whittier depending on the cruise line. You than go from Seward or Whittier up to Ankorage, or do the reverse.

Which cruise line does the best job? Most every cruise line does a good job in Alaska, so you can pick which you like best. Princess and Holland America have been there longer than anyone else and both do a great job. Princess and Holland America will always use a pier, with the exception of Sitka, but the others may tender if there are to many ships in Port.

My personal favorite cruise line in Alaska is Princess but that is my preference.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:33 PM

Have been to Alaska once, and would highly recommend doing Glacier Bay.
That was the ultimate for the cruise. I enjoyed the ports, but, Glacier Bay was spectacular.
I went from Vancouver to Seward. And took the train to Anchorage to fly home.
Looking to go next month from Seattle. That one does Tracy Armm.
All of these are with Princess.....who I think is the best!
ENJOY!

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Closed Thread

Tags
1st, alaska, cruises, reviews, time