Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 PM

I'm taking a cruise to Alaska the first week of September. My ports will be in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Victoria, BC. Does anybody have any recommendations for shore excursions? For people who have been there, what would you consider the big highlights in these locations? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:53 PM

In Skagway the White Pass Train ride. The visitors center also has a nice movie. In Juneau the Red Dog Saloon, and Mendanhall Glacier. Burchart Gardens in Victoria. Sorry, never been on Radisson, the cruise line recently changed it's name to Regent.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:45 AM

Hello. In Juneau, we did the helicopter glacier walkabout. Yes, it was expensive. But, considering they are melting before our eyes, I thought, I would walk on one of natures wonders while I could. We got to walk on the glacier for about 20 minutes. There are lots of crevices on the glacier, and it is VERY uneven. The crevices are soooo blue, with pools of water in them. The helicopters dropped us off and then they left. When they were flying back into to get us, it was awesome. The helicopters were echoing off the walls of the glacier. It was totally worth it. Every penny!!! It was sureal!! I would love to do it again. We also did the Mendenhall Glacier Float that same day. That was ok. We did not get as close to the base of the glacier as I thought we would. I was kinda disappointed at this. The river float was mild, I thought. After we floated for awhile, we started to float by homes built on the river. It is amazing how close, some of the homes are to the glacier base. But, on the other hand any river float is nice. In Victoria, we toured the castle, with the long name, "Crag" something it is called. Well, I was sorta disappointed. To me it was a mansion, not a castle. I was expecting a castle, like they have in europe or Britain. Nope, it is a mansion, I thought. Anyways, it is pretty, and worth the trip I thought. Then we toured Victoria, so see the city. Enjoy Alaska. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-18-2006, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Did you book your excursions through your cruise line, or separately? And how far in advance do you recommend doing so?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:12 PM

Hi. Well, I have always booked with the cruise lines excursions. Call me crazy, it is more expensive. I pay extra, for a little more peace of mind. I always book, ASAP, as soon as I can via the cruise lines website. I have never had a problem. For the helicopter tour, I would feel comfortable booking it separately. It would be less money, and I'm sure you can find it on line in a Juneau website. I have tried to change my excursions a month or two before sailing, and some excursions are sold out. I would book your "must do" excursions ASAP, and the undecided excursions when you can. I splurged on the helicopter ride, I thought, "I might never be here again", and I really wanted to experience a glacier. They say they are melting 300 feet a year. Good luck Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, icy, point, review, reviews, september, strait