Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Why do Inside Passage's cruise through there at night? Are there any in daylight?
thanks, Robert
Old 07-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure what you are asking. The classic inside passage cruise is in a port during the day and cruises to the next one overnight. It is important to note that daylight or twilight for most of the summer in Alaska lasts until 10pm or later. It is not unusual for night to only last 4 or 5 hours before sunrise starts.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:12 PM

What Firehoss is suggesting is why can't a cruise line make the trip from Vancouver on the first night be done during the day, as this is a wonderful piece of land that the ship is going thou. I know because we have done this with a private tour company.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator

They have to have a departure time which allows for passenger arrivals at the airports. Despite our advice, many people still fly in on the day of the cruise. Sales would likely plummet if the cruise line said "arrive a day early so you can check in and we can leave the following morning". It won't sell with the typical Alaska cruise audience. The cruise lines have already pulled several ships from the Alaska market. Requiring people to show up a day early would only send it further down.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 PM
And I really don't see the problem; as you pointed out Dave, visibility is good until 10:00 p.m.--even later close to the Summer Solstice.

And the sailings that stop in Victoria on the return do so in the early evening meaning they traversed the passage during daylight.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 PM

It is also very light. On our last cruise, I was up early (that is just me) Had coffee and enjoyed the inside passage, or alot of it.
It is a very beautiful place.
BTW I love those early morning hours, very few people are up.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 AM

Thank you all. Very good points that was why I was asking. I will make it work no matter what.
Our first cruise here was with a group and we merely picked a cabin and paid, as we had little to do with the actual trip. Nothing wrong with that because our trip was 110% great! But it took us outside and not down the 'classic' inside. Again no gripes.
However, as I studied the history of the old inside passage I have a desire to cruise it and for me I'd like to treat it like the Panama Canal. We are even thinking of the ferries. I am more into the trip, the mechanics as it were, than shore excursions. And I know I am a slim minority on this.
I too am up early, sitting on our balcony with a cup of Joe thinking back in time 40 years ago, then a USMC guest of the US Navy. The shore excursions of those days we very exciting to say the least. But I digress.
Thanks again for the insight. It makes good sense and I am sure we will be plopping some money down on the next trip here soon. Any trip is better than the one I am here at work!
Robert
Old 07-05-2010, 11:44 AM

This thread brings up an interesting question for me. This is my first Alaskan Cruise and my itinerary says that on Monday and until 2 p.m. on Tuesday when we reach Jueneau we "Cruise the Inside Passage" then on Thursday we are scheduled for a "Cruise Glacier Bay" day. What can we expect to see on these days? Thanks!!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Up the inside passage lots of beautiful scenery. Glacier Bay the ship will park for hours and you sit and watch for calving of the beautiful glacier. You may hear the glacier rumble and a thunder like sound. When you hear this, then watch for the glacier to calve. We had sea otters come play right outside our balcony.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM
PLB, this is not as good as a navagational map, but you can see that all of Southeast Alaska is a series of islands; you are never very far from sight of land. Glacier Bar is just that: a huge bay that is the terminus of many grand glaciers.

Closed Thread

Tags
10, alaska, america, bay, cruise, daylight, glacier, holland, inside, passage, passasge, pm, reviews, sales, sept