Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM
We signed up for a number of excursions is Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan which cost in total over $1000.

Gratuities appear to be quite common on many Alaskan adventures. In the intructions that we received from the agent, we are advised to tip tour managers, guides, drivers, cruise folks etc.

No mention was made of tipping the excursion folks. I'm quite happy to not tip as their rates seem steep anyway however, what is the usual custom for this?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 PM

We were never asked to tip the tour guides and really do not think we did either. Does that make me cheap. You are right, the price of the excursions are bad enough.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
For me, it all depends on how knwoledgeable and informative the tour guide is. But I usually tip the guide $10 for a half-day and $20 for a full day tour; and $5 for the driver. They don't set the tour prices; and I wouldn't go to a nice restaurant and not tip just because it was expensive.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Anyone providing services to the public who is exceptional would greatly appreciate a little thanks you and the best thank you is a monetary reward for a job well done. There is no requirement or even guideline for most services off the ship. With that said, there is no actual written requirement as Rick pints out for a restaurant or porters at the pier or many other service professions. They do feed their families from the jobs they do in providing you a great vacation experience. When anyone, your barber, hairstylist, garbage man or anyone else providing you a service is exceptional you can make their day with a tip.

By the way, you'll feel better doing it as well. That's gotta be worth spreading a few bucks around for the smiles you recieve.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-08-2007, 10:35 PM

Iam with Rich and Neil on this one, just because the excursions are expensive, doesn't mean the tour guide, drive ect are over paid. Service personel should be tipped in my book.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Banned

I'm with Rick on this one. We have tipped our excursion guides.
They have assisted my daughter's onto the snorkeling boats, served us drinks, helped us with equipment, took photos of my family with our camera, etc. They are polite and always ready to help make our day enjoyable. For that, I believe they should be rewarded.

They do more than the ship's Maitre'd, that's for sure.

A'ndrea
Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 AM

Okay, okay, I was wrong. My mom said we did tip the tour guides. When I think back I do remember handing them some money on the way out. Sorry, didn't mean to cause a problem.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

Lori, no harm done. I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong protocol for tipping excursion guides. You are right in one thing. The excursion prices are high enough.

A'ndrea
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 AM

Would love to do a flight-seeing trip but holy mackeral who can afford it.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
For me, it all depends on how knwoledgeable and informative the tour guide is. But I usually tip the guide $10 for a half-day and $20 for a full day tour; and $5 for the driver. They don't set the tour prices; and I wouldn't go to a nice restaurant and not tip just because it was expensive.
Just think how well a $ 2.00 bill would go over with our island friends! "ooooooohhh, 2 dolla!"

Closed Thread

Tags
ak, cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, guide, guides, juneau, pay, people, port, requirement, tip, tipping, tour