Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 12:36 PM

I have booked a land/cruise with princess cruises to alaska 1st week in september 08 on saphire ship just wondering if this is to late to see whales and bears and should we try and change it to May/ june time i am not bothered about the temperature just wouldnt want to miss out on the widlife
Old 08-19-2007, 04:36 PM

Anytime on the Alaska Grizzly Bear Cam!!

Really my Uncle goes to Alaska every year to view the bears, he says anytime is a good time.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:28 AM

Thanks for your reply. Photos are great we have only got about 54 weeks to go it can not come quick enough. We are from uk so we dont see the sorts of wildlife and mountains like you.. i noticed you are from near yosemite, we were there two years ago in December it was out of this world have heard its even better in the spring.
Bye Michelle
Old 08-27-2007, 05:39 PM

Hi Shelley,
We have been to Alaska twice. Once early in July and this time the 19th to 26th of August. In July we was very few whales from the ship and just one bear sighting. This time, we couldn't count the number of whales we saw from the ship. First you'd see the "blow" that very distinctive mist coming up from the water - and then either the head or the tail. We only saw one in full breach, but dozens of them with a swish of their tail. We also saw two sets of dolphins doing their signature arcing movement alongside the ship. We saw a bear at the Mendenhall glacier as she was feeding a salmon to her two cubs. The salmon were so thick they just filled the streams. I'm thinking you picked a great time to go. Lucky you!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:41 PM

oops - just proof read after I posted - I'll do better next time - It should say " ... we saw.." not "we was"
Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
oops - just proof read after I posted - I'll do better next time - It should say " ... we saw.." not "we was"
Once you post, you can edit it for a period of time. Go to the lower right coner of the post and click on the edit icon. It has an eraser on it.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Thanks gdjoslin, I'll remember that for next time

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, august, bear, bears, cruise, cruises, good, grizzlies, month, time, times, watch, whales, year