Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Alaska Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/)
-   -   Driving in Skagway in lieu of train (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/20913-driving-skagway-lieu-train.html)

1_travel_lover 03-14-2008 04:40 PM

We are going to be in Skagway on June 3/08 and I have read a few comments from people who suggest renting a car and driving along the highway rather than taking the train. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? Any tips or suggestions? We are attracted to doing things at our own pace, being able to stop where we want, and the probably saving a fair bit of money. Thanks!

1_travel_lover 03-14-2008 04:40 PM

We are going to be in Skagway on June 3/08 and I have read a few comments from people who suggest renting a car and driving along the highway rather than taking the train. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? Any tips or suggestions? We are attracted to doing things at our own pace, being able to stop where we want, and the probably saving a fair bit of money. Thanks!

waterart 03-14-2008 06:49 PM

I would not miss the railroad. It is so spectacular. You might want to go up on railroad and back by bus. I also don't know if when you get to the top, there is an ability rent a car then. I doubt it but worth looking into. But do yourself a favor and DO NOT miss that train ride.

Berick1234 03-14-2008 08:01 PM

I've done the train twice now and will do it again.....there is a tour that let's you take the train up and a bus back...best of both worlds....if you drive up you do miss the excitement of actually being on the edge of the mountain, seeing what the builders had to experience while building the railroad....It's just a wonderful trip....Happy Sailing

Bob E

LisaP 03-14-2008 08:53 PM

Bob/waterart, that is exactly the tour we are doing on our trip to Alaska this summer, our first. We're going beyond the train into Carcross. The time involved for this distance is the main reason we are not going independently.

waterart 03-15-2008 05:08 AM

you're making a good decision. that train trip was one of the best excursions i have ever taken.
If you are going up on the train and back on the bus, then make sure to sit on the left side of the train as you get on. this is the side which will overlook the edge of the mountain. everyone knows about this trick generally so be sure to get in line earlier so you can board earlier and get the side you want. Have fun!

1_travel_lover 03-15-2008 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your help, I think we will do the train!

LisaP 03-15-2008 08:30 PM

And, thanks for the great info on the train seating. I won't need to be in a rush to get on...my acrophobia will keep me on the unpopular side! (I'll look at DH's photos later.)

I do love trains, though, and look forward to that aspect.