Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2005, 11:02 PM

My Husband, Children (11, 9 & 4) and I are looking forward to our 1st Alaskan Cruise this July 29th. We would love input on the best shore excursions. Here's what we are thinking so far...would welcome input especially for Vancouver & Sitka.

* Victoria - Horse-drawn Trolley Tour (1-1/2 hrs)

* Vancouver - Maybe Capilano Canyon Rainforest Adventure (4 hrs)???

* Sitka - Maybe Best of Sitka Motorcoach Tour (3-1/2 hrs)??? Indian Arms Kayaking sounded good, but with a party of 5, hate to split up 3 ways..this would only work if our 4 yr old can accompany Dad & our 9 yr old in 1 kayak; and I can go with our 11 yr old. (Also a bit concerned that Kayak tour is 3-1/2 hrs of kayaking)

* Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier & River Rafting (3-1/2 hrs)

* Skagway - Glacier Flightseeing & Dogsledding (2 hrs)

* Ketchikan - Neets Bay Bear Watch Expedition by Floatplane (3 hrs)
Old 07-02-2005, 05:50 PM

I would agree with all of your choices. Sounds like a great cruise. I just got back from an Inside Passage cruise on Celebrity's Mercury and the ports are great.

Tom
Old 07-02-2005, 06:24 PM

Welcome Back Tom and MBFamily I agree, the activities you have outlined are all great choices!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 PM

In Victoria I would strongly recommend spending some time at Butchart Gardens. In Vancouver a couple of us did a horse drawn tour around the city park. this was very nice. I don't know anything about the Rainforest Adventure but I wonder if a 4 year old will be up for a four hour adventure? Sitka was one of my two favorite ports (Juneau being the other). There is a great park within walking distance of the port that has a +lot+ of totem poles. (FYI - If you want to check your email, there is a college library in Sitka near the park that has free internet access - at least it was free last year.) There is also a raptor center there where you can see the eagles and other raptors which have been injured that they are caring for. You should also see 1,000s of spawning salmon in this area. My wife went on a some sort of sea life adventure day-cruise and had a great time in Sitka. I can't imagine that it would take 3 1/2 hours for a motorcoach tour of Sitka; I walked everywhere and took a lot of pictures and used the internet in about 4 - 5 hours - probably had lunch as well. It helped that the weather was absolutely perfect the day we were there.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:53 PM

Tom, you must of been on the Mercury the same time we were, 6-17 to 24?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:45 PM

Actually, I boarded the Mercury on the 24th through the 1st of July. I understand you folks had rainy weather?

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, children, crsytal, cruise, cruises, crystal, excusion, insider, kids, pics, review, reviews