Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Worried???

The only thing to worry about is that the cruise will get over too FAST:-)....but then you can always book another one...FAST:-)..
Happy Cruising...I'm outta here in 2 days...-20 here right now but 84 in the Caribbean...

Bob E
Old 01-18-2009, 08:05 AM

We were in Alaska this past May. This was one of our favorite excursions. We took the bus up and were lucky enough to pass a bear by the road. When we stopped at the Yukon sign, we spotted mountain goats on the mountains. Take a pair of binoculars and a camera with a good zoom if you can. We stopped for lunch and our driver, a young girl who was very friendly, threw in a stop at Emerald Lake. The lake was beautiful, as was all the snow-capped mountains this time of year. We also made a stop at what they called a small desert. It was amazing to stand in snow at one stop and sand at another.

On the bus on the way back we enjoyed the scenery from the last seat on the right by the door to the platform. It made it easy to step out for pictures. With the weather being so cold in May, most people opted not to go out. My husband easily shared the platform with one other man. If you can grab the last seat on the left on the way up. I personally viewed everything from my seat, loved the scenery and would repeat the trip in a heartbeat.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:32 AM
Gary,
What a clear picture, it really is a great picture. What kind of camara are you using?

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 AM

Thank you for the kind words Janfred. I was using my Canon XTI.I believe I was using my Tamron 18-250 lens.
One thing to note here is the lack of people of the outside platform. I was alone. If you look at the picture and to the platform in front, you will see no people there also. I was outside for most of the ride. I thought this was the norm but I guess it is not.
We have booked this excursion again for our upcoming July trip.

Thanks again

Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM

We took the train/bus tour last May. We booked it through Princess. The train ride was spectacular. We enjoyed the bus trip also. Our driver was a character and it was a lot of fun. The bus stopped at Liarsville where we had a delicious grilled salmon lunch. They also served chicken and many side dishes.

We ended up at the Red Onion Saloon in Skagway. It was a fun day!

Nadine
Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM

I am going alaska this May and will like to get some info regarding the train ride in Skagway. I don't know if I should take the train round trip or train/bus combo. Also, will it cost less to get the tickets from the train station instead of from the cruise lines?
Any help??
Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Sunset - we did this excursion in 2000 - - so I don't know how the pricing has changed in the last 9 years (EEK - Way too long)- - - however, that said, at the time there wasn't much difference in the pricing between the ship's excursion and buying at the station. An advantage of booking through the ship was that the train was reserved for your excursion and pulled up at the dock. We were there in September, and found that by booking our train trip in the afternoon, we avoided the clouds, mist and snow the morning riders experienced. Our afternoon train ride was spectacular - clear skies and nice weather. Anyway you do it, you should thouroughly enjoy this experience. We saw Dall sheep, deer, eagles spectacular scenery. If you do the up/down on the train - the back car was great on the way up, but on the way down, they moved the engine to the rear of the train, so we ended up behind the diesel engine.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat, sunset68.

When we did the train last June, I saved $45 over the Royal Caribbean price by buying the tickets myself, online, at the railroad website. It is true that if you buy the tour from the ship the train will load you up at the pier. But the train depot is around a quarter mile away and for $45 I'll take a short walk. What they did was load up the cruise ship tour and then the train came back to the depot for everyone else.

The train website urges people on a cruise to book with the cruise line, but I am sure they have to do that as part of their contract. They really don't care.

It was $309 for three of us for the round-trip train ride. Perhaps the best tour we took in Alaska. You can see the prices and make reservations here. You should check with your particular cruise line to see what their pricing is first.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Dave is right it is a short enjoyable walk. All the stores in in that location also.
I would check the price with them. My Photo excursion was cheaper thru HAL by $10.00.
Have all your prices and make sure you are getting the same tour, then book the cheapest.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the help. I did checked the price. The NCL price is only $11 more than the train station ($119 vs. $108).I guess I better book with NCL to ensure the spaces in the 12:45pm ride. I don't want to miss this excurson since
everyone said this is the "must do" for the whole alaska trip.

Sunset

Closed Thread

Tags
book, bus, cruise, pasport, pass, passport, rail, railroad, ship, skagway, tour, tours, train, white, yukon