Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2003, 10:53 AM

Hi all

I am cruising on the Coral Princess in May this year. Does anyone have any info on the port excursions. Please let me have your advice on whether or not I should take them or just plan my own outing ashore. The ports of call are Seward, Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan.

Thanks, Jules
Old 02-11-2003, 10:53 AM

Hi all

I am cruising on the Coral Princess in May this year. Does anyone have any info on the port excursions. Please let me have your advice on whether or not I should take them or just plan my own outing ashore. The ports of call are Seward, Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan.

Thanks, Jules
Old 02-11-2003, 11:28 AM

I have been to Alaska a couple of times. Take lots of film - it is beautifull there. As for the side trips, I went horsebackriding in Skagway and it was fun. Real down to earth. Our guide's name was Trip and he's still up there. There is a little bar as you enter town on the left. Outside dining as well. It's a great place to sit, get their sample platter of beers (I think there was 6 or 7) and people watch. After you go shopping of course.
Did heilicoper ride in Ketchikan (booked it on the dock). Friends went on a float plane and loved it.Breath taking and saved a few $$. It's a great town to explore. My husband and our friend did the 20 mile bike ride in Juneau to a brewery. They enjoyed it but were looking for something a little faster paced. We girls went whale watching in the harbor. Don't forget the Red Dog salon. FUN!
We plan to go again
Old 02-12-2003, 09:22 AM

Jules, my advice is that if you take some of the longer shore excursions, or ones that take you some distance out of town, you should book it thru the cruise line due to the time element - you don't want to be stuck somewhere and miss your ship when it sails away!
Shore excursions I would recommend are: Skagway - the White Pass & Yukon rail trip, the historic tour around town in the old stretch yellow "limos," or just walking through town & shopping & enjoying the sights. Ketchikan - either the Saxman Native Village or Totem Bight State Park (both are out of town & taxis are expensive!), also walking around town & shopping; be sure to see the historic Creek St.district. This town is very walkable, only a few blocks from the cruise dock. Wear/take rain gear though! Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier (out of town), AK state museum (in town), the cable car ride (in town), historic walking tour (can be done w/ guide or by yourself, but with a guide you may get in certain places, like the wonderful little Russian Orthodox church, that you might not otherwise. Fishing, whalewatching and flightseeing are also good here.
Have a wonderful time!
Old 02-12-2003, 04:20 PM

We took a helicopter tour and found it to be the best. Norwegian pilots were young and very well trained. My husband is in the airline industry and was very particular Re: the skills of the pilot. We landed two times on the glacier and were able to walk and explore with their guidance. Our granddaughter, 9 years old at the time, thought it was the "coolest experience of her life". The trip was booked onboard the ship.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:51 AM

For all sightseeing that involves walking around the ports of call, I recommend that you do this on your own. The towns are not large and you can usually visit most places of interest within a half day period. For any tours that involve travel some distance from the ship I highly recommend that you arrange them through the cruise line. One reason being, that if for any reason you have a problem getting back to the ship on time, THE SHIP WILL WAIT FOR YOU.
I would like to recommend that when in Juneau, do go on the helicopter tour. It offers a fantastic experience which you will never forget, particularly the landing on a glacier. I think that cost is about the same doing this independantly or through the cruise line. Bobby

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, bike, call, cruise, interest, juneau, ketchikan, place, places, port, ports, reviews, ride, walk