Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 02:15 PM

I am looking for shore excursions that are unique, active and reflect the wonder of the area....would love feedback on the following...

Ketchikan Choices....
Mtn Point Snorkeling Adv or Msty Fjords Seaplane
or Clover Pass Bike Ride or Zip Line

Juneau Choices...
Mendenhall Canoe Adventure or Glacier View Kayak
or Float Trip of Helicopter Glacier Walk?

Skagway Choices...
White Pass Scenic Railway or Horseback Riding
or Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float or Heli-Hike Rail Adventure...
Any other suggestions or feedback would be great!
Wish I had time to do it all...
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:25 AM

In ketchican, I would suggest Sea Wind Aviation. The float plane trip was the best part of our trip. The people that run the trips really worked with us. Our ship was late getting into port. The waited for us, and really made our day. The scenery was awsome.

In Juneau we did a whale watching trip, thru AK whale watching. It was 105.00 per perons for a 30 foot cabin cruiser.

In Skagway, we took the Haines Kayak adventure. We really had a good time on that one.

If you would like to see any pictures, e-mail at vafatboy@aol.com

Robert

Read and post cruise reviews

Enchantment 2007
Serenade 2006
Majesty 2006
Sovereign 2004
Sovereign 2003
Sovereign 2002
Old 08-30-2006, 02:19 PM

Hi and welcome to cruise chat. Well, we did alaska last summer. We had a float plane excursion prebooked, and it was cancelled at the last minute due to weather. We were able to book a helicopter glacier walkabout on mendenhall glacier. We love helicopters, so we jumped at the chance. Anyways, it was really neat to walk on a glacier. They took us back into a little flat area of the glacier. It landed, dropped us off, and then flew back out. There were 4-5 helicopters all together. We walked around for 20 minutes. You can't walk around too far, and it is VERY uneven. There are lots of deep crevices with beautiful blue water in them. The guide showed a mark where the glacier was last year, and to where it had shrunk to now. It was sad. It was a good visual to see how much it was shrinking a year. When the helicopters flew back into to get us, the sound was so awesome. It was echoing off the glacier walls. I felt like it was a war movie, with choppers trying to attack us. The sound was awesome. Anyways, we also did the mendenhall river float trip, later that same day. We went out in a big raft, and floated out to the middle of the lake to look at the glacier wall. I was a little disappointed at this. I thought we would get much closer then we did. Then we started to float down the very cold river. They gave us raingear, and waterproof boots. Even with the boots, our feet got wet enough to freeze our feet. Our feet were the only part that were really cold. We did get a little wet also. As you start floating a ways down, you start to pass homes that live on the river. It was fun to do once. We have done several river raft trips, the rapids were pretty calm I thought. I would recommend the helicopter glacier walk, much more than I would the float trip. Hope this helps, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-31-2006, 01:33 AM

Hi, We've just returned from our alaska cruise on Norwegian Wind. We had a fantastic time. We took the following excursions:

Ketchikan: Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary - we'd originally planned a bear watching trip but it was fully booked. Opted for the rainforest, a lovely easy walk through the rainforest just outside Ketchikan with an excellent guide.........and 3 bears appeared which really made our day!

Juneau: Bus to Mendenhall - our helicopter glacier hike was cancelled due to poor weather and all other trips were fully booked. We walked into the town and hopped onto a bus to Mendenhall. You get a nice view of the glacier from about a mile away, the weather was dreadful, which added to the atmosphere. TIP: There's a small stream which runs near to the car park. We watched a bear fishing for 15 minutes from about 6 feet away.

Skagway: Glacier Point Wilderness Safari - A great experience - Catamaran, 4x4, Hike and the Kayak to the face of Davidson Glacier - you really get the felling of being in the wilderness and the guides are excellent, they actually live in the forest and are the only people for miles around.

Enjoy your trip - sure you'll have a great time. My only advice would be that if you're planning any trips which include flying, have an alternative in mind because the weather can be bad which can prevent flights taking off. Also, if you book through a cruise liner the flights are refunded if cancelled. We spoke to a couple who'd booked privately because it was cheaper but then were not entitled to a refund when the flights were cancelled!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:57 PM

I went to Alaska last September and although the Yukon Pass Railroad trip was not adventurous, it was a beautiful trip. Out of all the excursions we did, that was my favorite. We did a helicopter trip up to Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and that was great too. The sled dog trip in Ketchikan was ok but I don't think I would recommend it. The best part was the trip up to the dog slep camp. It was scenic and our bus driver was quite interesting. Have a good trip.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, bike, cruise, excursion, excursions, float, forums, glacier, juneau, ketchikan, mendenhall, reviews, ride, shore, trips, zipwire