Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 08:28 PM

I understand there is not alot to see in the
town of Ketichikan, our friends have recommended
we book some kind of tour, but without spending
and arm and a leg (and I won't do a helicopter ride, but perhaps a float plane), what is a good recommendation?
appreciate your help!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:32 AM

Misty Fjords by float plane is AWESOME and I can highly recommend SeaWind Aviation. Tom and I had the opportunity to take that trip while in Ketchikan and it was a highlight of the cruise. Here is a link to Tom's special report:
http://www.alaskaportreviews.com/Ketchikan19.htm on our sister site Port Reviews.

While in Ketchikan, make sure to sample some of the best halibut and chips to be found in Alaska at Burger Queen. You can read more about this little local treasure at the Port Reviews site as well.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-09-2006, 09:07 AM

We just got back from a week on the Serenade. We did the float plane with SeaWind Aviation as well. It was the best part of our vacation. Our ship was a little late getting docked. The people from Seawind waited at the peer for a half hour while are ship got docked. We were able to see Orca Whales, Bears and great scenery. Call them for a great tip.

Read and post cruise reviews

Enchantment 2007
Serenade 2006
Majesty 2006
Sovereign 2004
Sovereign 2003
Sovereign 2002
Old 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM

It's interesting both of you highly recommending
Seawind Aviation, is this something we book definitely ahead of time? Do you recall the
price on this? How long does this tour take, and float plane I'm told is nothing like a
helicopter ride right?
Thanks for responding!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:03 PM

I believe is was 365.00 for the two of us. The tour was about an hour and a half. The guide took us around the Fjord mountains. We landed in a lake and were able to get out of the plane on some small rocks. We got great pictures. I know if we ever do an alaska cruise again, it will be float plane trips in every port.

The people from seawind were really nice. They are a small family run operation.

I can send you some pictures if you would like. E-mail me at Vafatboy@aol.com

Robert

Read and post cruise reviews

Enchantment 2007
Serenade 2006
Majesty 2006
Sovereign 2004
Sovereign 2003
Sovereign 2002
Old 07-10-2006, 09:13 AM

There are actually many other things to do in Ketchikan. There are 2 parks which feature totem poles - Totem Bight State Park is about 5 miles out of town and has restored and newly made totem poles around a reconstructed winter tribal "longhouse"; having a guided tour would be helpful as you'll learn more about the culture and the poles that way. Or there's Saxman native village, where you may get to see artisans making totem poles. You can walk around the downtown area, poke into the shops and visit Dolly's place, an old brothel which is now a museum. Misty Fjords would be quite a trip, but if that's too pricey for your budget, consider one of these options, or a wildlife expedition.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:25 AM

Princess has a Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast that is supposed to be quite good.

Western Caribbeam Carnival 2005

Eastern Caribbean Holland America 2006

Alaska Diamond Princess 2007

Western Caribbean NCL Jewel 2008

Southern Caribbean Holland America Westerdam 2008
Old 08-01-2006, 08:56 AM

Do the DUCK TOUR!!! Its an amphibious open-air vehicle that takes you on the town sites then straight into the water for a view of the local water-wondes and a different angle of the town. It's only 1 1/2 hrs and you get the feel of what to do in town for the rest of the day. Approximatelt $36
Crown Princess April/07 - Fun In The Sun in Eastern Caribbean
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas March/08 - Here We Go Again
RCI Vision Of The Seas Dec/08 - Joining Sis On Her Redneck Honeymoon in Mexico
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Some cruise lines offer a snorkel trip here....if you are not opposed to cold water in a heavy wetsuit then this is something not to be missed....and if you are REALLY lucky a school of orcas could come through while you are in the water....You are not very close - they do keep a distance which is good but that was still the most spectaluar and unique excursion I have taken in over 200 sea days.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:05 PM

We did the DUCK tour in Ketchikan. It was like $36 each and it was a 2 hour tour. We road around the streets and heard about some history of Alaska and Ketchikan then the amphibious vehicle went into the water and we floated around the harbor. It was definitely worth the money.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, avaition, aviation, crab, excursion, exlporation, exploration, feast, ketchikan, locals, ports, recommendations, review, reviews, sea, wilderness, wind, worthwhile