Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM

I'm booked on NCL's Sawyer Glacier 7-day cruise, and I want some ideas on what to do when we stop at Prince Rupert (6 hours). The Butze Rainforest Nature Walk looks interesting, but at $59 a person for a party of 4 (me, mom, my two toddler kids), that's $240 for a walk in a free nature trail. I looked on google maps, the trail is 10 km/6 miles from the port, which is at most a 10 minute ride. The price that the cruise is charging is simply insane. Does it include a free slap in the face?

Are there taxi's at the port in Prince Rupert? I really don't feel like being robbed blind, not by NCL at least. What options do I have?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Prince Rupert is really just a stop they make in order to comply with cabotage laws for foreign-flagged ships. The ship has to stop at a foreign port before returning to the U.S.

I was in Prince Rupert a couple years ago. It is a small town. I didn't see taxis but then I wasn't looking for them. We did a whale tour and it was just a short walk for us from the ship to the tour boat. However I just looked and there is a taxi company there. I was looking HERE
Old 07-27-2010, 03:24 PM

fonger, You will not need a taxi. You can walk the town in an hour. Plenty of shops, snacks, etc. In June there were alot of Bald Eagles with their young. It will be easy to kill six hours with minimal cost.

Have fun

Mark
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas 2009
Carnival Freedom 2010
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM

I wish more cruise lines would stop at this port as it's a wonderful place to see. I understand that Princess is looking at making this a stop in a few years.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 PM

I live in Prince Rupert and yes we do have Taxis. I would just get one from the port and take to Butze and just arrange with them a pick up time. It is a nice walk through the rainforest but may be a little steep for the toddlers. My DD has been doing it since she was 3yrs though so it should not be that much of a problem for them.

Any other questions feel free to ask. I agree though there is not much to do here.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Hi kobesam, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM

Just called Skeena, the local taxi service in Prince Rupert. They offer transportation to Butze Rapids for $15 one-way, $30 round-trip. That sure sounds WAY better than the $240 NCL was going to charge me. No need to make reservation as a Skeena rep will be at the port to greet the cruisers. They also accept USD so no need to worry about FX. I'm looking forward to seeing this charming little town.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:08 PM
We went on the Norwegian Cruise the first week in Aug 2010 & Price Rupert was the worst port that I have ever been too. There was NOTHING to do there. I would really like to know where all these shops that someone mentioned were. My advice....stay on the ship & enjoy the pool.

Tags
bc, butze, cruise, line, nature, norwegian, norwegiancruiseprincerupert, port, prince, rainforest, rupert, ship, taxi, things, walk