Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Alaska Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/)
-   -   Juneau port excursions (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/23646-juneau-port-excursions.html)

fireball 06-12-2007 09:47 PM

Family taking southbound Alaskan cruise. Stopping in Juneau. When best to do whale watching excursion - Morning or Afternoon? Does it matter? Has anyone used Dolly Varden Alaska Tours for excursions? Stopping in Skagway as well - Is the White Pass Train ride worth going? or should we chose instead to do a seaplane tour of Mysty Fjords in Ketchikan? Asking for any advice. Husband's dream trip. Thank you.

Greyson 06-13-2007 10:13 AM

We found the whale watching in the morning the best the 2 times we went. The first time my mom amd mother-in-law went in the afternoon, saw 1 whale tale, enough to constitute not getting their money back that is guaranteed if you dont see any whales. This past cruise in September we saw a bunch of whales on the morning cruise. The train ride is Skagway is well worth the trip. This past time it was just my mom and I. I was so impressed that my husband is taking the cruise with me in 2008 just to go on the railroad, well not the only reason. Why not to the plane trip as well, although they get pretty spendy. Next time we are in Ketchikan we are going to do the excursion that takes you out to pick up crab pots and then back to base to have a crab feed. Have a great time, we will be taking our third cruise up there in 2008. You will fall in love with Alaska.

fireball 06-14-2007 05:23 AM

Thanks for the information. Will definitely try to go on a morning cruise for the whale watching. Most likely will choose the train ride in Skagway for White Pass Summit. Appreciate the advice, Greyson. We are excited and can't wait to go to Alaska.

rbum 06-14-2007 07:48 AM

Fireball, We just got back from our Alaskan cruise in May. I think you will definitely enjoy the train ride in Skagway. We did the whale watching tour in the AM and saw several humpbacks as well as sealions and eagles. Alaska is truly a beautiful state. Rickyb

fireball 06-14-2007 06:00 PM

Rickyb, Glad you enjoyed your Alaskan cruise. We are now booked for whale watching in Juneau and the train ride in Skagway. We are eager to go on our trip. Thank you for your comments.

Berick1234 06-14-2007 07:10 PM

Oh my yes...take the White Pass Train in Skagway...there are a couple of different combinations that should be available...Train up and train back...bus tour and train back and I think a reverse train up and bus back...no matter which one you choose, it's spectacular...and historic....I've been there twice and will go again next year...Have a Great Cruise...

Bob E

Greyson 06-15-2007 05:05 PM

We enjoyed the train up and bus back as we stopped in Liarsville on the way down. Watched a skit telling the history of Liarsville and Skagway and then panned for gold. Its a cool trip. Have fun. We are planning another trip up there in 2008.

Berick1234 06-15-2007 06:44 PM

Why do so many of us from Minnesota go to Alaska??? Guess the only thing Alaska has that Minnesota doesn't are mountains and whales...Happy Cruising....

Bob E

Greyson 06-15-2007 07:17 PM

Well my excuse is that I was born in Anchorage, have family in Seward and Anchorage and just flat out LOVE IT UP THERE!

Berick1234 06-16-2007 06:50 PM

And I love it up there too...sure wish some of my relatives would move there.....

Bob E