Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:39 AM

We have a "hold" on an aft cabinon Deck 8 for an early June cruise up the Alaskan Inside Passage cruise on a 90,000 ton ship. This is our first cuise and my husband is prone to motion sickness. I have read conflicting reports re: sea sickness. I know they say it is best to be in mid-ship low as possible. But, others say they have never experienced seasickness being in an aft cabin. In fact - crew members told them to go to the back of the boat when feeling sick. Do you really feel much of a difference in the motion in the back of the ship? Also, is the vibration bad? Thanks so much for any input for these first time cruisers!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:34 AM

Really no vibration. I dont get sick, stomach wise, but the motion on rough seas makes my head spin. The best place I found for that was outside in the fresh air, or in my bed after about 3 dramamine and a good nap. This year it really didnt effect me as bad. I have been told about something called a shock watch that you can purchase at somewhere like Walgreens that even prevents the lightheadedness. The other thing is this year I tried a trans scopalamine patch from my doc, along with some green apples. The apples are readily available on the ship. I didnt really notice a difference beween our cabin on the 8th floor or on the 5th floor this time. Have fun, and dont think about it. It only bothered me one evening, the rest of the time was good.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 AM

One does get more movement there BUT fresh air and being able to see the movement often helps... The seeing helps the brain comprehend the inner ear movement quicker.. Still if your husband has had this problem before I a really not sure how well he is going to do aft. There is really only one way to find out.... try it!! You need to decide if you are willing to take the risk...
Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 PM

Sometimes you can feel the motion in the back of the ship, it is usually worse in the front. You are going to the Inside Passage which is one of the smoother places to cruise seeing there is land on one side and islands on the other. The roughest part of the cruise will be before you hit the Inside Passage and once you leave it.

As far as the motion sickness goes I get motion sickness easily and I have never gotten sick on a cruise yet. There are many things you can do to help prevent it. Some people take ginger tablets and swear by that. There are pressure bands that you will see some people wearing on their wrist. Dramamine or Bonine are used by many. You can buy a non drowsy dramamine if you worry about getting tired from the dramamine. You will see many people with the patch which is a perscription from your doctor. Beware that these sometimes effect people with high blood pressure.

A good walk in the fresh air helps and believe it or not having something light to eat can also help. It sounds odd but it does work for some.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:21 AM

Thank you for all your tips/advice. I think I might be worrying too much about the motion aspect. My husband wants to keep the aft cabin. We will get the ginger pills, the shock watch, and not worry about it! He is fine with mild motion - its just the big 10ft waves that get him, and that would be felt anywhere on the ship! We have until Sunday to change our mind to a center cabin if we want.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:05 PM

The inside passage is some of the calmest waters I have been on. We were in an aft inside cabin on the Sun Princess. It was as far to the back and inside as one could get. We felt no movement.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 AM

I am also a first time cruiser and am worried about the motion sickness. My cardilogist prescribed patches (for placement behind my ear). I have high blood pressure and take medication for that. He suggested using 1/2 of the patch instead of a whole one, unless I thought I needed more.
I have been told by others with experience on taking the inside passage cruise, that motion sickness should not be a problem. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Believe it or not, keeping food in your stomach will help with the nausea. I know it sounds wierd, but the sloshing of gastric juices can mean the difference between a little dizziness and hugging the tiny toilet in your cabin all week. I carried crackers and snacks with me in port, and on ship there is always someplace with food. I just made sure I ate something, even a little bit every two hours or so. It totally worked! Fortunately, a cruise ship is set up for you to eat something round the clock!

I used dramamine on my first cruise because I know I get seasick. The last cruise, I only had to take dramamine when we would be tendering or excursioning on a smaller boat. NOTE: If you are only going to be relying on Dramamine, take it EVERY 12 hours regardless. If you only need it for the smaller boats, take it at least an hour or two BEFORE you will need it to work! I made the mistake of thinking I was okay on the last day of my first cruise and let it get out of my system, and I paid for it.

If you get motion sick, you WILL probably be affected in some way on a cruise, even if it is just the dizies once in a while. It is NOT as bad as being in a car or on a small boat tho IMHO. I have always had balcony cabins either midships or aft, so I can't speak for forward or inside. I have heard forward is not a good idea because the bow bobs up and down riding the waves. I do not however know if this is true. However, between medication, homeopathic cures, and common sense, it WILL NOT keep you from having a great time, as long as you go prepared.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Hi ColJenni, I'm just interested in finding out whether your husband did get sea-sick from the aft cabin. Also anyone else has information on the aft cabin? I have been assigned an aft cabin but dead centre so presumably it shouldn't be affected by any side to side rocking. Can anyone advise me as to whether I should ask for reassignment as I am prone to sea-sickness? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally posted by ColJenni:
We have a "hold" on an aft cabinon Deck 8 for an early June cruise up the Alaskan Inside Passage cruise on a 90,000 ton ship. This is our first cuise and my husband is prone to motion sickness. I have read conflicting reports re: sea sickness. I know they say it is best to be in mid-ship low as possible. But, others say they have never experienced seasickness being in an aft cabin. In fact - crew members told them to go to the back of the boat when feeling sick. Do you really feel much of a difference in the motion in the back of the ship? Also, is the vibration bad? Thanks so much for any input for these first time cruisers!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Hello rarecat, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Which ship are you sailing on? Are you in a E or D catagory, or in a suite? I've been in several aft cabins and didn't feel any vibration except for one time when we were at near full speed to make up time because of an emergency. The aft cabins have huge balconies, which is a big plus. The Radiance class ships are perfect, but the Voyager class ship have a 10% obstructed view because of the support beams.

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
aft, cabin, cabins, cruise, dizzy, front, location, make, motion, sea, seasickness, ship, sick, sickness, vitamin