Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 AM

Hi everyone
We just got back from our Alaska cruise with Princess and it was awesome. I know I'm grasping at straws...but by any chance, did anyone here happen to be whale watching in Juneau in Auke Bay on 7/25 around 12pm?
A group of 8-12 whales were bubble netting and I didn't get very good pictures with my little digital camera. That night at dinner somebody showed me some pictures he took with his zoom lens and they were unbelievable. Unfortunately I didn't think of asking him if he could/would email the pictures to me until after we left. I am now desperately searching for anyone who would be kind enough to share their pics with me.
We got to see these whales create this bubble net at least 5 times and one time they all came out of the water less than 50 yards from our small tour boat. I know not 1 person on our boat snapped a picture because they surfaced so close... we just all stared with our mouths open. Nobody moved. When I saw the captain and our naturalist look at each other with their eyes almost popping out of their head, then start to laugh as they said "holy s#$%", I knew we had gotten a close view. It was great.
So if by any chance anyone happened to be on any of the other tour boats and happened to get some good pictures and would be willing to email some pictures to me, it would be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much
If anyone wants to see the pictures I did get, I'll post them if I can figure out how

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 AM

Welcome to cruise chat, Buffalo-Jill!! Wow! It's sounds like a close encounter. I wish that I could have been on that tour. It's great to be able to experience that but I know that you wish you had photographic memories. Perhaps someone on this forum will be able to help you get the pictures that you request. Until then, you at least have a "whale" of a story to tell others.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Hi buffalo_ jill2,
I was on a whale watch excursion in Auke Bay on 7/25, and was able to get many photos of the whales "bubble netting". I don't know if we were on the same boat, but we were able to get pretty close, and I did use my telephoto lens. I don't know how they compare with the fellow you were referring to, but I'd be glad to send you some phptos if you'd like.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

Buffalo Jill and Tande,

I would love to see both of your pictures. If you need any help in posting them let me know and I will try to help you. You can always just post them to Webshots.com (which is free) and then give us the link to your Webshots photo album for us to view the entire album.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

This is truly something that should be shared; please post the pictures Tande!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:25 AM

I would love to share my photos. It was sooo cool to see that sight! I will try my best to post them, I may need your help digdmer.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 AM

O.K. I started at 12:25, it is now 4:00 A.M. Posted on webshots.com under Tande52 hope it works.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:27 AM

Duh! I just got into bed and thought... wait a minute, I didn't start at 12:25, I was still at work at 12:25. Forgot this chat site is Pacific time, so it was actually 4:00a.m. my time when I finished. (I had a blonde moment) I couldn't go to sleep peacefully having you think I'm a doofus or something. Goodnight!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Banned

Hi Tande,

I hope you had plenty of sleep, and I hope you're still sleeping while I post this! I got onto Webshots and looked you up, but it doesn't show that you have posted any pictures or photo albums. If you need any help just let me know. Once you get the hang of it, it will be a breeze.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Banned

Tande,

I just realized that your photo album on Webshots must be locked as a private album. That means only you can view it. To make it public: where the title of your album is you will see a symbol of a lock. To the right of your album title is a pencil with an eraser and a box with an X. Click on the pencil. In the Edit screen look for Media Sharing Preference and click on Public Album. That should do it!

Closed Thread

Tags
juneau, reviews, watch, watching, whale