Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 AM

I know what you mean, and I don't work for the Government.

Dwayne
Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Any US Customs/INS/DHS/whatever office is considered "no-man's land"... sounds ominous, but it really just means you're standing on US soil, even though you got off a plane in Canada. Above posts have hinted at the answer here... you do all of your US entry and exit "stuff" at the cruise terminal in Vancouver. It's a big, and relatively new facility, and usually goes quite quickly and smoothly. You'll carry your UK passport with the US (and presumably Canadian) immigration marks, visas, etc. with you while you're cruising. If you need ID for anything in US ports, just use your passport.
When you disembark in Vancouver, you'll go through a similar (reverse) process to officially "leave" the US and re-enter Canada, at which point I run out of answers... presumably you'll re-enter the UK when you leave Canada and return home, but I've never undergone that particular phase.
(My horror story is getting through Ukraine on my way back to the US from Russia... Russia was fine letting me in and out, US was fine letting me out and back home again, but Ukraine had big problems with my laminated reproduction of a US confederate bill from the Civil War as a bookmark in my Tolstoy!)
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM

I will pay my first visit to Vancouver when I leave the Celebrity Mellenium after a 7 day southward cruise form Seward. From what I am reading I assume the the US Border Protection Agents pre-clear all cruise passengers boarding vessels heading for US ports in Alaska and I assume a simular process will happen to me at Vancouver International Airport when I fly from Vancouver to Anchorage to begin my cruise.
Upon arrival in Vancouver, you now have to make your declaration to the Canada Border Service Agency to seek permission to enter Canada. I know that Canadian Offices will stamp a UK or EEC passport and should be willing to take a green US Immigration document and return it to US authorites for processing. I would doubt that a UK citizen who was cleared by US Customs prior to boarding a vessel in Vancouver and as long as the ship is not visiting any other Canadian ports will be required to produce their passport again at US ports. However, if the traveller is taking the White Horse Train excursion, a passport will be needed as I assume Canada Border Services Agents will be meeting you at the Canada/US border when you enter the Yukon and they will be verifying ID's.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tekdiva:
As a civil servant I think I can safely say that I hate it when they change the name of a department to something that says the exact same thing as original one.
But thats such a useful thing. That way they can spend more tax money on all the building signs, letterhead and everything thing else that had the old name an now needs to be changed. That way they can claim they over spent on their budget this year and need an increase for next year. If they don't spend more than they take in they might be targeted for budget cuts. It would be a real tragedy if that happened and they couldn't continue to grow the size of Government each year!

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, canada, canadian, cruise, customs, date, documents, entry, immigration, procedure, questions, returning, usa, vancouver