Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Alaska Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/)
-   -   Top ports to see in Alaska? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/28056-top-ports-see-alaska.html)

Nat 11-04-2008 10:50 AM

We are thinking of cruising to Alaska for the first time, there will be ten of us (ages 13-70)! What are the top ports to see and is late June a good time to go? Thanks!

Sandy 11-05-2008 04:52 AM

Late June is a great time to go, with the longest days of the year. You'll be able to read a newspaper out on deck at 11pm with no problem.

Most ships hit the most important ports of Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and a ride through Glacier Bay or similar. Some ships are still going to Sitka, a port with lots of history and wonderful things to see. To me, Skagway is the absolute "don't miss" in Alaska.

Sandy

mickeyd 11-15-2008 12:59 PM

I would recommend that your group stop at Skagway (or Haines) and do not miss the White Pass RR. Leasurly climb up and down with some of the best views (camera-ready) in Alaska.

gdjoslin 11-15-2008 08:49 PM

Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay, and I will throw in Tracy's Arm. If you want a 7 day round trip, we love the HAL cruise from Vancouver. It covers all of those places.

Akitadog 01-12-2009 01:10 PM

Alaska is AWESOME! We were the last tour of the season in september and had a wonderful time as all the wildlife was visible. It's hot during the summer so everything "alive" disappears but in the spring and fall bears, whales, otters, seal, etc. are feeding and out in the open. Catamaran whale-watching in Juneau was awe-inspiring! Fully guided horse-back riding the original Chilkoot trail was not to be missed. Just the van ride getting to the trail was amazing. Scuba-diving was almost a religious experience!!! Who would have thought to scuba dive in Juneau but it's a rainforest! Make sure you view College Fjord and Glacier Bay national park from the best seat in the house - The Rear Hottub!!! LOL We witnessed (and videotaped) calving ice-bergs. We had a naturalist on board so everything was explained. I would go back to Alaska in a heartbeat!!! We had stunning weather with only 45 minutes of rain the entire time! We cruised Whittier Bay (Anchorage) to Vancouver. The only down side was that it was chilly so ship maintenance was "off", but the Sun Princess was also heading into San Francisco for a full re-furbish so the push wasn't on to keep her exactly "spiffy".

Berick1234 01-12-2009 04:27 PM

Alaska is almost a religious experience...I've done the inside passage 3 times and will do it again this summer.....Skagway is my favorite...The train ride and lots of historical buildings and shopping.....and you can go pan for gold if you are up to it...Happy Cruising...

Bob E