Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 12:59 PM

I will be going on an Alaskan cruise on June 17, 2006. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in Alaska in June and what type of clothing to pack?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:59 PM

Miz, I think the most important thing is to pack clothing you can layer. Temperatures in the various ports may be in the 60s during the afternoon, but could be a lot cooler in the morning. Also, when your ship stops near a glacier, you'll want to be outside but you'll need serious winter gear because it's COLD. Again, layered clothing will not only keep you warm, but is versatile as you go from indoors to outdoors or from morning until afternoon when you're off the ship.

It's a good idea to bring an outer layer that's waterproof or water repellant, since it could be rainy on and off, too.

One of the nice things about Alaska in June is the many hours of daylight!

Sandy
Old 01-26-2006, 03:01 PM

Sandy is quite right. Layering is definitely the way to go in Alaska! The weather can vary greatly; often rainy, but not always. On a 10-night May cruise along the Inside Passage, we experienced everything from 45 to 65 degrees, from steady rain to occasional drizzle to glorious sunshine. We were very glad we had brought rain gear - both slickers and also special rain pants - and used them as additional windbreakers as well as in the rain, as we spent most of our time outside on deck to enjoy the scenery. We had gloves, winter hats, multiple sweatshirts, plus windbreakers and slickers on - all at the same time - and managed to keep from freezing. The only downside is, when you want to go back inside for a spell, you have to peel off at least half the layers or you will roast!!
Old 02-18-2006, 06:28 AM

As both Sandy & Karen mentioned LAYERS.
The key to staying warm & comfortable.
Raingear is another must. At least an umbrella & slicker or poncho.
I have done Alaksa twice in June & August.
Never really had the lovey warm weather some tell of. Be sure to bring a heavy jacket if you are doing glacier tours, as it is much colder.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, gear, may, rain, raingear, weather