Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 PM

Hi Amanda! (that's my wife's name...)

I'm not sure what you consider to be "typical" excursions, so I can't really recommend anything until I know either what you're looking for, or better, what you're NOT looking for. Can you rattle off some of the excursions you've seen advertised that you're NOT interested in, and maybe I can steer you from there...?

If all else fails, I've had some great vacations hiring a local (cabbie, tour guide, boat skipper, interesting bar patron (not TOO interesting!), etc.) and asking them to show me their town. It does save a lot of time if you can find a few folks that don't mind chatting or eMailing a bit before you arrive so you can save the "get to know you and become friends" time and get strait to the good stuff when you're here...

Otherwise, there's the standard list of ziplines, glacier bus tours, whale watching, helicopter or float plane rides, beer brewery tours, etc. to choose from...

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old 06-01-2008, 09:25 AM
The Train, The Train:-)

I'v done it twice and will do it again...

There is a bus ride up and train back option for some ships....

Happy Crusing..

Bob E
Old 06-01-2008, 07:18 PM

the RCL book was showing the zip line, dog mushing, jeep adventure tour, float trips.. we wanted something off the beaten path that isnt a scheduled time... like the jeep tour is from 1-6 and then we have to get right back on the boat and cant see the rest of the town..
Old 07-11-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by a&dspellman:
Does anyone know how far Mendenhall Glacier is from where the ship docks? I was tols like 45 minutes
Amanda-You might have taken you cruise by now but as CanCanCase had said the but service to the glacier is $14 per person round trip. I had booked in advance on line but there are numerous booths on the dock selling tickets. The bus runs continuously (approx 30 minutes between pickups) to the glacier & unlike the ships tour you can take as long as you like at the glacier & explore the trails. If you're over 62 you can qualify for a lifetime Golden age passport ($10)to get into the visitors center & watch the movie for free & use their telescope to watch the big horn sheep on the mountain.

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, alaska, bike, cruise, cruiserfd, excursion, excursions, icy, juneau, ketchikan, shore, strait, tips, tour, typical, zipline