Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2003, 04:23 PM

we plan to book a rt seattle cruise to alaska next summer and can either book mid-june or late july and were wondering which would be better from a weather standpoint. we're not as concerned with temp as we are with rain and would prefer blue skies to rain even if it's cool. Which should we choose?
Old 05-09-2003, 04:23 PM

we plan to book a rt seattle cruise to alaska next summer and can either book mid-june or late july and were wondering which would be better from a weather standpoint. we're not as concerned with temp as we are with rain and would prefer blue skies to rain even if it's cool. Which should we choose?
Old 05-09-2003, 04:46 PM

One fact of life in southeast Alaska is rain. Although summer is generally drier than fall, there is never a guarantee of anything! My advice: book when you can best go, take rain gear along (a necessity no matter the time of year) and decide to enjoy it no matter the weather. Also take sunglasses, a hat (preferably one that sheds water) and sunscreen, as you can encounter anything from beautiful clear to wet soggy!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:43 PM

thanks for the reply. may i pick your brain some more? since we've chosen a rt cruise which side of the ship would you recommend and why? also, we plan to do the railroad in skagway (we'll be traveling with our two sons ages 10 & 13) which side of the train would allow us to see the most views on the way up? thanks!
Old 05-14-2003, 12:41 AM

I used to live in Alaska and agree with Karen, expect anything weather wise. I did take the ferry up the Inside Passage from Bellingham, WA, to Haines, AK, last summer and the sun was out everyday. That is not normal. I spent 4 weeks in Juneau during January and February 2002 and it rained everyday, all day, except for one day when we saw the sun. Bring raingear, warm clothing, and summer clothing and you'll be all set. As far as which side of the ship to sail on it doesn't really matter much. You'll have beautiful scenery on both sides of the ship for much of the voyage. As for the train in Skagway, you'll enjoy it. Did it a few years ago. Sit on the right side on the way up for the best scenery. They make you switch sides once you get up to the top so that everyone is afforded the same great view. However, the commentary was better on the way up (and I napped on the way down, it started to rain). Whatever you do, enjoy Alaska. It is an amazing state!

Closed Thread

Tags
ak, alaska, bellingham, book, books, cruise, ferry, ketichikan, reviews, wa