Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I have recently booked my cruise with Princess and I have good ideas for Juneau and Skagway, but I am stumped on Ketchikan. On my Princess page it says my excursions are unavailable so I can't look at them online. Is it better just to walk around Ketchikan or is there an excursion worth taking? I have tried to find info on this site, but not much is said about it. I have found wonderful information on everything else though.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 AM

Hi Vacationbound,

The town is pleasant to walk in. One thing we did that we really enjoyed was to go to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. Extremely entertaining.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 AM

Seeing Totem pole village and Misty Fjords are also popular in Ketchikan.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:05 AM

I would think as you get closer to your tour date you will be able to book excursions on line..maybe in the spring.
Walking the town is great! You can see lots of sights. Creek Street is a short walk.

There is plenty of shoping there.

The Lumberjack shop was fun.

We also enjoyed the Duck tour.

There is a place on the pier that has the best fish and chips.

We enjoyed the vegetation.

We have done the Rain Forest tour, but I would not do it again.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Try the Totem Village tour....very informative...and still lots of time to walk the town....bring rain gear...Happy Sailing...
I'm going back for the third time next year...

Bob E
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all your input. Gary, I just love looking at your photos. You do a great job! I haven't had halibut since I left California. I will have to stop by that fish&chips place.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:50 PM

Potlatch Park / Salmon Hatchery etc. was a nice tour. We saw a master carver working on a totem pole among other areas of interest.
We still had time to walk around the town before boarding the ship. Bring rain gear. It rained the entire time we were on our excursion. As soon as we boarded the ship, the rain stopped.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Walking up/down Creek street was fun, especially if you stop and watch the salmon work their way up the fish ladder on Ketchikan creek.

Also there is a nice little museum in the public library. Near the library there is a great place to buy the best kettle popcorn in ALaska (or so they claim).
Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 PM

What to do in Ketchikan? Depends on the weather. If it is raining, I suggest an excursion that with take you around on a bus. If, I say again if it is nice, try walking around the downtown area. You must by your curios from Wal-Mart with is 4 miles North of town. We just cruised the Inside Passage in the Diamond 1-8 Sept, 2007. We had a wonderful time. Skagway you must take the train ride or white river raft. Juneau, if you drink beer you must go to the Alaska Brewery, they offer 6 FREE! beers samples. They are all great, but I prefer the Smoked Amber! Yeeha...enjoy!

Max
Old 10-31-2007, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Any thoughts on Saxman Native Village? It includes a visit to Saxman Totem Park. We're also thinking of a wildlife tour to Misty Fjords--enormous price difference though, which adds up for a family of three. Plus, my husband is a history teacher, so the Saxman Native Village tour interests him. (And I figure since I'm dragging him to the Yukon, I owe him one.)

There will be six cruise ships in port the day we visit, so I suspect that Creek Street will be very crowded.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, brewery, bus, cruise, explorer, fjords, juneau, ketchikan, misty, port, ports, review, reviews, tour, walking, wilderness