Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 01:42 PM

My husband is interested in going fishing while in Ketchikan. Is this a good place to go fishing- can we just disembark and find a tour? whats best?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:11 PM

What does he want to fish for and how long are you in port? What time of year will you be there? Unless you're specifically talking about king salmon fishing in May and June, other ports may offer more variety and/or availability.

Whatever you do, DO NOT just hope to "pick something up" when you disembark. Fishing charters in SE Alaska are legally limited to no more than 6 anglers, and they book up fast. My charters are already about 85% spoken for for 2008, and some of our reservations have been in place for 2 or more years. (On average, the specific dates you want are likely to fill between 1 and 4 months prior to your charter.)

If you book via the ship, you'll be paying 30% to the cruise line, 50% to a broker, and the leftover scraps to the boat captain, owner and deckhand. Booking direct with a vendor will likely save you 10 or 20% (no ship commissions) and better yet, do you think you'll get a better tour from someone who's getting paid all of your money, or less than half of it?

In Ketchikan, I always recommend Ken Teune (pronounced Two-Knee). If he's booked, I'm sure he'll be happy to recommend another captain/boat for you.

Sitka, Juneau and Hoonah are also known for their fishing. Sitka and Hoonah are the better of all the ports for halibut fishing, and Juneau is known for it's large variety of fish available most of the year.

Hope this helps some... if you've got more info and specifics, post back and I'd be happy to help steer you to a great time!

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 PM

HI Case, thanks for the info, We will be there around 18 may , ship arrives at 11 am to 7 pm - may be a bit late in a day for fishing?? didnt really mind what type of fishing we do but Salmon could be good.. Do u operate out of ketchikan?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 PM

I live and work in Juneau. We've been known to show up in Sitka and Hoonah (Icy Strait Point), but Ketchikan is a bit of a long run for us.

Mid May is a great time to fish for King Salmon. Ketchikan is definatly the port I'd recommend too. They get their salmon runs a bit later there, while Juneau gets all of the later runs (I can usually fish for coho and King salmon way up into September and October.) With your port time, you'll only have time for a 1/2 day charter, but no... an 11 or noon trip isn't too late... these fish run with the tides, and a good guide will find them no matter what time of day it may be.

Give Ken Teune a call at Northern Lights Charters. Even if he's already booked, he'll steer you in a good direction.

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 PM

HI Case, thanks for the tip. We have booked our fishing trip through Ken.. cant wait.. 27 days until cruise day..

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, charters, cruise, excursion, excursions, fishing, good, icy, ketchikan, kingfisher, lines, point, reviews, salmon, strait