Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 12:52 PM

Actually, Mickey, you'd be amazed at how much tax you may have been paying as a nonresident visitor to many different places. Most major cities in the U.S. have high hotel taxes, many of which are used to fund sports stadiums and other tourist-dependent projects. Similar situations exist with rental cars too.

What bothers me about this tax is that it is such a large hit all at once, and has some onerous requirements of the cruise lines. As you mentioned, it's aimed at one specific group, namely cruise passengers, as opposed to a tax on all visitors to the state. It was pushed by a group of environmental organizations, and was opposed by virtually all businesses connected to tourism in Alaska. The referendum passed by a fairly slim margin, as I recall.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Most major cities in the U.S. have high hotel taxes, many of which are used to fund sports stadiums and other tourist-dependent projects. Similar situations exist with rental cars too.
Agreed Karen,

However, It applies to all of those who rent a car, or spend the nite at a Motel 6, or attend a San Antonio Spurs game @ the ATT Center,not just cruisers.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:39 PM

What bothers me, the Tax was passed in Aug, The Cruise lines continued to sell tickets thru the fall at the lower rate.. knowing full ware that they were going to tack on another $50.00 pp in January. Why not just be honest about it?

gary

Old 01-03-2007, 01:16 PM

I just got an e-mail from Celebrity today that they will adding the tax to our total cost for our May cruise.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:03 PM

The tax was voted in by the Alaskan voters in August. It for some reason still had to be approved through channels. The cruise lines had to wait until it was approved, so they aren't being dishonest in asking for the tax now.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com:80/...uisetax24.html
From this link it sounds like it was a done deal ia Aug.
I have been a business man all my life, I have passed on the needed increases, but have never had to back charge for something I knew in advance. They knew this was coming, they should have adjusted their prices, but choose to keep them lower for the fall market. That is not honest.

gary

Old 01-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

My understanding is that the tax takes effect for cruises which enter Alaska starting in May 2007. The vote had to be certified, challenges addressed in court, yada yada yada. I assume this is the reason for the delay in charging the tax.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Only $50 per person, I will still pay it to see the beauty of the magnificant state of Alaska. Im planning a third cruise up there in 2008.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:32 PM

I am not saying it is not worth another $50., I just do not like the way it was done, be upfront and do not keep selling cruises for a price when you know you will have to increase the price.
For the record I will probably cruise there again, but have a few other ports I want to hit again.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, comments, cruise, cruises, dog, drink, duck, fart, kind, passenger, pay, red, saloon, tax, taxes