Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 04:56 PM

My husband and I are booked on the Diamond Princess northbound from Vancouver to Whittier. I am looking at booking our own flights and I can only get a 10 PM flight out of Anchorage the day the cruise ends. I was hoping to find an all day excursion in Anchorage/Whittier that would at least take us till late afternoon. However, the shore excursions are very limited. Does anyone have any suggestions for spending the day in Whittier or Anchorage. We will have all our luggage. can you rent a car at the cruise terminal ? Is it worth it ? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM

We are also cruising Alaska on a back to back sail and have the day in Whittier before reboarding the cruise ship to return southbound to Vancouver. After checking around and getting recommendations from others, we have booked a 26 Glacier Cruise (www.26glaciers.com) which runs a high speed catamaran through the College and Harriman Fjords. It departs at 1pm and returns at 5:30pm, cost $129pp. The tour operator also offers transport to & from Anchorage (returning to Anchorage at 7:15pm) so you may be able to arrange with them transport one way from Whittier to Anchorage. They will also hold your luggage for you during the tour. I booked my reservations with them on the phone and found them to be very professional and accomodating. I'm not sure if getting into Anchorage at 7:15pm for a 10pm flight departure gives you adequate time. Hope this helps. Regards
Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Courteliz- Been there, done that. Here is the deal. You CAN rent a car in Whittier and drive yourself to Anchorage. There are plenty of sights to see (there is an animal refuge park and some glaciers.) You do not HAVE to have your luggage with you. When we went last year, American and Alaska Air had bagge reps at the pier in Whittier. Once you get through customs they can check your bags in and truck them to the airport for you. We had 18 people in our group. We rented a couple of SUVs and we all did different things. Four of us went golfing in Anchorage. Some went to the zoo, and other just went sight seeing in Anchroage. The cost of renting a car will work out to be a little more money than taking the shuttle bus to the airport. But, not as much as a airport transfer/ city tour excursion.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks Jim. Do you remember what car rental company you used ? Was it right at where the ship docks or did you need to take a taxi to the car rental facility ?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:20 PM

I used AVIS. It was a short walk down the street from the ship (maybe 2 blocks?) no need for a taxi to get to the car. The rental agency is also a fishing/tackle shop

I left the wife and kids with getting the luggage checked in with the airlines and walked do to get the car and came back and picked them up. It worked well. Then returned the call at the airport.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-28-2007, 01:54 PM

My wife and I did the 26 glacier tour out of Whittier a few years ago, and i must say it was breathtaking. The high speed catamaran takes you right up to the crumbling glaciers a lot closer than a cruise ship will. You need to know that Whittier is a very small village, and to get to Anchorage, you need to cross a 2 1/2 mile tunnel (very narrow) beneath a huge mountain. This can be done by train, bus or private car, but you need to have the mode of transportation pre-arranged. I think it's about 2 hours to Anchorage, but you should confirm. We were traveling by rented motor home at the time, and not part of a cruise.

If I had a choice between spending a day in Anchorage or on a catamaran looking at glaciers, the catamaran would win hands down.

Quote:
Originally posted by joyceh:
We are also cruising Alaska on a back to back sail and have the day in Whittier before reboarding the cruise ship to return southbound to Vancouver. After checking around and getting recommendations from others, we have booked a 26 Glacier Cruise (www.26glaciers.com) which runs a high speed catamaran through the College and Harriman Fjords. It departs at 1pm and returns at 5:30pm, cost $129pp. The tour operator also offers transport to & from Anchorage (returning to Anchorage at 7:15pm) so you may be able to arrange with them transport one way from Whittier to Anchorage. They will also hold your luggage for you during the tour. I booked my reservations with them on the phone and found them to be very professional and accomodating. I'm not sure if getting into Anchorage at 7:15pm for a 10pm flight departure gives you adequate time. Hope this helps. Regards

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, chat, cold, cruise, cruises, gon, inside, march, months, passage, time, weather, wise, year