Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Hi all,

We are concidering this trip on our Alaskan cruise in May,2008. It appears to be the most expensive tour they offer at $560.

Has anyone done this tour and was it worth the expence?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 AM

The helicopter/dogsled tours are fantastic. One tour specifically flies and lands on Mendenhall Glacier, but there are other options as well... Temsco, ERA and Coastal Helicopters all run these tours in the summers in Juneau. Temsco also operates a dog-camp near Skagway. I don't think it really matters which glacier you land on. They all look about the same from above, it's just that Mendenhall is the famous one because you can drive very close to the face of the glacier.

I mention Skagway because if your touring schedule has you doing something else in Juneau, there's another option. Note that these tours are cancelled fairly often due to weather... probably 4 or 5% of flights are cancelled. Be sure to have a backup plan in mind. Also, I always suggest folks book the earliest flight in the day, so that if it's foggy in the morning you'll have more of a chance to re-schedule later in the day after the fog burns off.

Booking directly with the vendor can save some fairly big bucks. Coastal Helicopters has their dogsledding excursion priced at $429 pp for 2008. When comparing, look at the flight time, time on the ice, time with the dogs, etc. The ships promote them heavily because of the over $100 per person commission they earn.

Yes, it's well worth the expense... in fact, I just booked 3 seats on Coastal in August for myself and 2 friends coming to visit.

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM

I'm considering this same excursion and also have concerns about the $. I'd love to hear from you after your cruise.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaza:
Hi all,

We are concidering this trip on our Alaskan cruise in May,2008. It appears to be the most expensive tour they offer at $560.

Has anyone done this tour and was it worth the expence?
Old 05-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Hi, we did the ERA helicopter/dogsled tour last June out of Juneau. It is well worth the money! You will fly over different glaciers and then land on top of one where your dogsled team will be anxiously (barking and jumping with excitement) waiting for you to hop on the dogsled as they take you for a 45 minute dogsled ride. You can even be a musher if you want! If you ever saw the movie "Eight Below" this is the same experience. Below is a picture of our dogsled team.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, dog, glacier, helicopter, juneau, mendenhall, money, reviews, rviews, skagway, sled, sledding, tour, trip, worth