Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 07:53 PM

Has anyone done the Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip? Do you get close, and are you able to see the glacier very well? Do you get to see the floating icebergs. Is it worth it? We are also considering the helicopter glacier trip. The float trip is alot cheaper, but is it worth it or not. Any other suggestions for Juneau excursions are welcomed. Alaska, Regal Princess 07/07/04. Thanks, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-27-2004, 08:54 AM

I haven't done the float trip, but have done the Mendenhall River Rafting trip. You enter the lake below the glacier and then paddle across the lake to the start of the river. You do see icebergs and get a great view of the face of the glacier on this trip. I can't imagine that you could get much closer to the face of the glacier itself because of the constant calving.

Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 12-27-2004, 07:18 PM

I have done Mendenhall Glacier via the bus tour below & helicopter. The helicopter tour was worth every cent to me.
The Mount Roberts Tram ride is nice to get some pictures, IF the weather permits.
Juneau gets alot of rain.
A trip to the Red Dog Saloon is also a must.
ENJOY!

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 12-28-2004, 04:58 AM

I just read Princess's excursions on their website. You do enter Mendenhall Lake, "floating past icebergs", then raft down to the river. It sounds like the Mendenhall River Rafting trip could be the same excursion, you were refering to Tom. I think it would be neat to be so close, and be dwarfed by this huge glacier in a tiny raft. It sounds awe inspiring!! Thanks for the other tips, especially Red Dog Saloon. Anymore tips are welcomed. This is my first, hopefully not last, Alaska cruise. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, float, glacier, medenhall, mendenhall, princess, raft, rafting, review, reviews, river, tour, trip, trips