Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 03:31 AM

I will be taking an Alaska cruise next summer and will be staying in Seattle for a few days after. Would love to do some real fishing (no catch and release) and then take the catch home with me. Anyone know a good charter service?
Bob
Old 11-03-2005, 10:00 AM

Bob,
I see no one has responded to your question. I would also be interested in that information. Please let me know if you find out anything.
Frank
Old 11-06-2005, 10:26 AM

Bob & Frank,

Will try and help. What dates, what type of fish, and are you willing to travel from Seattle? There are lots of opportunities, just a matter of what run is on at the time. Last August the wife and I nailed over 100lbs of Salmon in 3 hours, guess what is for dinner again tonight.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:09 PM

Ok, I did not hear back from Bob or Frank, but have seen that enough people have viewed it, so thought I would put my 2 cents worth in:

My first choice would be to do a charter in one of the Alaska destinations, as northern fishing is really great. There are charters available out of Seattle and Vancouver, but do not expect great results. You will catch fish, and I hope I do not upset any of the local charter boys, but I think you are better off to travel away from the 2 cities and get into some heavy fishing.

A real easy destination/package would be to go with Canadian Princess Resorts out of Uculet BC. It is an easy short flight into Tofino from either Seattle or Vancouver, or take a float plane in, or drive up the island and inland. They have good package rates and numerous charter options, can stay on shore or sleep on the old passenger ship they have at the dock. The fishing area is in Barkley Sound, with lots of bottom fish year round, Sockeye Salmon from June-July, then the Springs (King) and Cohos(Silver)kicking in after that until the fall.

Would also suggest April Point Lodge further up island, is accessible by air through Campbell River. The fishing around Campbell River really sucked this year, but just north was Fantastic. April Point would send thier boats into the better areas. Good Sockeye run June-July, followed by Chinook, Coho, and Pink. Lots of Chum for those that like eating furry fish.

Further North there are not so many organized lodges, but lots of independant charters available, great fishing throughout the Alaska Cruise Season. Telegraph Cove and Port McNiel are good departure points. Vancouver Island is quite a long island, about a 300 mile drive to the north end, depending on time you may want to fly part way in and rent a car. Also in the region is Nootka Sound - great in August, and the Port Albernie Canal, same as Barkley Sound.

Better fishing but top dollar goes to the fishing lodges up the northern inlets like Knite Inlet, and all the floating lodges off the Queen Charlottes. Expect to pay big time, the service is great, and the fishing out of this world, but think of it as $3-5K pp for a 5 day trip.

What to do with your fish?: There are lots of fish packing plants around to process and ship your fish. Some of the lodges can have the fish prepared to take home with you, others have to ship, particularly if you are canning or smoking. We use St.Jeans Cannery, it is based out of Nanaimo, but has drop off outlets all over the island. Fillet and Vaccuum packed runs about $1.35 CDN/lb, smoked $2, either cold european or west coast style, and shipping if not pick up at one of their depots. Lots of other options to boot.

Hope this helps any of you that are thinking of doing a charter outside of your cruise. Any questions just drop a note, I can give you my opinons for what it is worth.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 PM

I have used Quest Alaska in sitka. It was the best fishing trip of my life. Stay on a private island. It was like 2500.00 for the week, but is was well worth it. Biggest king was 41, and many over 30.

Read and post cruise reviews

Enchantment 2007
Serenade 2006
Majesty 2006
Sovereign 2004
Sovereign 2003
Sovereign 2002

Closed Thread

Tags
cannery, jeans, st