Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 PM

The train/bus trip is great. We went up by train, came down by bus. The bus then stops in Liarsville. That is a neat little place. You get to pan for gold and they do a skit telling the story of Liarsville. It really is quite interesting. I would do it that way gain rather than taking the round trip by bus.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 PM

I wouldnt do the round trip by TRAIN I meant to say.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks Auburnsiren and Greyson; I wasn't aware of the bus option. Sounds more interesting than the train round trip.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Many cruise lines also offer excursions where you take the train up the mountain and bicycle down. Several members of my family did that, and loved it.

Sandy
Old 04-08-2007, 01:39 PM

As far as the bicycling down... it says 15 miles. Is it very strenuous? or more of a coasting thing? How long are you actually on the bike?
Any suggestions on booking through the cruise line or direct? seems there is about a $40 difference in price
Old 04-13-2007, 05:55 PM
I would suggest the afternoon time - when we did this, the morning folks had a lot of fog and even snow - couldn't see a whole lot. By the time we left at 1:00, the day was sunny and clear. I would suggest you avoid the car behind the engine - and if you do the round-trip - the last car. You get the smoke from the diesel engine. It was a spectacular, fun ride. We saw lots of eagles and Dall sheep.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 PM
We've been on the White Pass trip twice and it's well worth the money...The first time was early May and there was still 8 feet of snow all the way up...In fact, they had to plow the tracks that day...but it was wonderful...seond time was in June and most of the snow was gone. We've only taken the round trip, both in the afternoon because of rain or fog in the morning. The train comes right down to the ship and it's worth the extra $10 or to book it thru the ship...they just keep putting on cars to match the number of tickets sold...plus when you get back, you will still have plenty of time to SHOP.....We are going back next year again....Have a Great time.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, book, chat, cruise, excursion, liarsville, pass, rail, railroad, reviews, seniors, ship, tour, train, white