Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 AM

My husband and I are booked for our first Alaskan cruise on the Mercury, May 25,2007. We are interested in the White Pass Railroad excursion. Should we book direct on the website or through the ship? A short walk into town is not a problem, we hope to explore town on foot anyway. Also, our choices are a 8:15am or a 12:45 departure,(we dock at 7am, depart at 6pm). Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 PM

I have no idea what Celebrity charges to do the WhitePass Railway from the ship or what they charge for booking it on your own.

I have done the WhitePass Railway and the views are well worth the trip. It is a small walk into town if you want to catch the train there. People I have talked to found that it was worth booking from the ships instead of on their own.

When I took the train I booked it from the ship and found it was well worth the price but I was not on a Celebrity ship.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Its my understanding that you should book with the ship as if something happens and the train is late getting back, and you dont get to your ship on time, you are out of luck and have to find your own way to the next port. Otherwise, if it is booked through the ship, they will wait if something happens. I would take the one in the morning. We did the one that you go up by train and back down by bus, stopping in Liarsville for a short program and gold panning. That was fun. What cruise line are you on?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 PM
On the other hand, even if you don't book through the ship, a lot of people on the train did, so even if there is a delay, the ship isn't going to sail.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:19 PM

Unless there is a huge difference I would book with the ship. Unless it's changed, the cruise lines get priority for certain cars on the train. I couldn't tell you which car a private company would have.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips! We will be on Celebrity's Mercury. We've traveled Celebrity a couple of times before, but never been on that particular boat. After reading your post and looking at the website for the railroad I've decided to book through the ship. There is a $12pp difference, but it said the ship has reservations (maybe a better location on the train).
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Please help me understand, as I'm not familiar with White Pass Railroad. Is this something you take round-trip because it's so beautiful, or one-way and that's enough? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
You take it round trip, not because it's so beautiful (although it is), but because you presumably wish to continue your cruise.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M.:
Please help me understand, as I'm not familiar with White Pass Railroad. Is this something you take round-trip because it's so beautiful, or one-way and that's enough? Thanks!
Hi John,

The standard route goes from Skagway up to the White Pass Summit and back down again. Here is a map: http://www.wpyr.com/multimedia/routemap.html

There are other excursions than can be taken where one takes the train up and then the bus down a different route. I've only done the round-trip, not the train/bus trip.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks, f-mattox and Auburnsiren...very helpful!

-- John

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, book, chat, cruise, excursion, liarsville, pass, rail, railroad, reviews, seniors, ship, tour, train, white