Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 AM

Thanks Jill. I will be doing the opposite going from cold to warm. But so far most of the clothes I have packed are wintery... sweaters, pants... only a few sleeveless tops to wear under cardigans. I will be sure pack my other winter gear as well. I guess I won't get much use from my swimsuits huh?

Jackie
Old 03-05-2008, 12:23 PM
By all means take the swimsuit; it's a real kick soaking in a hot tub, sipping a coffee royale while cruising amongst glaciers.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

How cold are we talking? We're going in mid-August, Inside Passage, including a visit to Carcross. I was planning on layering, as we did last summer in Norway. (A windbreaker is one of those layers.) I'm also from the Northeast and don't bother with a winter coat unless the wind chills get below 40F/4,4C. Think I'll be OK?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Don't bother with the winter coat; it will just take up a lot of room and you will never use it. A warm sweater and windbreaker should be fine. Daytime temps in Juneau and Ketchikan should be mid-60's, and maybe even 70's. Skagway and Sitka are a little cooler. Glacier Bay can be icy but you're on the ship and can always retreat inside periodically.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Rick. Holland America has a section on its Web site about packing for Alaska (accessible via the dress code link on this page), yet this talk about winter clothing got me wondering. We had temps of 55F in Boston today and some people had just light jackets.

Lisa
Old 03-05-2008, 06:20 PM

I do not think you will need a jacket either.... with that being said, we have taken 2 Alaskan Cruises. On one I bought two jackets, and the other I purchased one. Not to use there but to bring home. They were very good deal on them there.
We are going again in 2009....another jacket?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Our cruise was in early May, the temperatures were in the 35 to 45 degree range. At our first stop in Ketchikan the first store from the dock made a killing selling hats, gloves, and warm sweaters. But in June, July and August you should expect summer weather.

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Well thanks guys. Now I am WAY more excited about this trip and won't be fit to live with for the next few months.

So.......I'll pack good clothes to layer, a swimsuit to loll about in the hot tub, and what else? Oh yeah, my camera to take some of the best pictures in the world, right?!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:40 AM

July is an excellent time to see Alaska! You have got enough good tips already. In Juneau, try a place called 'Crab Shack", a very famous sit out place for alaskan king crabs. It is very famous in town.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Majestic Gems-

Is the Crab Shack coming back this year? When they first opened 2 years ago they only had a temporary street vendor permit, and weren't sure if it would be renewed. I heard they were looking for a permanent home this year instead of the mobile "shack" that takes up 1/2 of the dock level parking down there! That's great news if they're coming back. Too bad it's such a long walk from half of the ship docks, but at least it's a convenient walk from your store, eh? ;-)

-Case

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, caribbean, clothes, cruise, cruising, essential, experiences, july, line, norwegian, reviews, royal, side, trips