Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Alaska Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/)
-   -   July in Alaska (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/32254-july-alaska.html)

Popcorn Pam 02-29-2008 04:24 PM

Does anyone mind if I just get SO EXCITED about the cruise coming up in July? It's my second one, but first to Alaska.

I will be happy to learn of anyone's all time favorite tips about an Alaskan cruise.

Four more months!!

travelbliss 02-29-2008 04:35 PM

Hi Popcorn Pam! I will be cruising Alaska in July as well...which trip are you going on? This is my 4th cruise, but same as you, first to Alaska.

Kelly Cruise 02-29-2008 06:57 PM

Popcorn & travelbliss - I am also going to Alaska in July. We are going on Royal Caribbean. It will be my first cruise!!

Sandy 03-01-2008 09:58 AM

Favorite tips for a cruise to Alaska:

Bring clothing you can layer. You'll want to be outdoors with binoculars the day you spend cruising near the glacier, but it can be cold. Bring gloves and a hat, too. You may want to stand there for hours.

Also, when you get off the ship in a port, the weather can go from cool to warm, and layered clothing is the way to go there, too. Bring a rain coat or rain repellent jacket.

Be prepared to be able to read a newspaper out on deck at 11pm! The sky never really gets dark that time of year.

Sandy

Popcorn Pam 03-02-2008 12:54 PM

Good tip about layering. Thanks! We are sailing on Carnival out of Anchorage on July 9. I am anxious to see the sun all evening. That will be a highlight for me!

tekdiva 03-02-2008 01:43 PM

Well I am going Alaska in May - 1st cruise and 1st time in AK. I will let you know what my experience was when I return. I am going on the Coral Princess. It will be interesting to compare the differnces between the cruiselines as well!

Sandy 03-02-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

We are sailing on Carnival out of Anchorage on July 9. I am anxious to see the sun all evening. That will be a highlight for me!
The sun goes down, but the sky never gets dark. It's sort of dusk until the sun comes up again. We had to pin the drapes of our Anchorage hotel room closed the night before the cruise, to try to get some sleep in a darkened room.

You'll have a great time.

Sandy

mickeyd 03-02-2008 06:43 PM

We were in Alaska last July for 14 days and had a great time. Take as many side trips as you can afford. You never know when you'll be back. Oh yea, plenty of digitl pics too.

Jill SC 03-03-2008 11:48 AM

Tekdiva - my Alaskan cruise was in May - prepare for a range of weather - it was hot in Vancouver when we left (shorts weather) but there were places with snow, and there was ice in Glacier Bay. Layers of clothes, hat, gloves and a good raincoat that can be worn over a heavy sweater are essential. But again the evenings are long. I have a great sunset picture taken at midnight

grizz 03-04-2008 08:45 PM

I was on an Alskan trip during July 20 odd years ago and much of the trip was frigid. I wonder if global warming has made it warmer during the summer?