Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Does anyone mind if I just get SO EXCITED about the cruise coming up in July? It's my second one, but first to Alaska.

I will be happy to learn of anyone's all time favorite tips about an Alaskan cruise.

Four more months!!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi Popcorn Pam! I will be cruising Alaska in July as well...which trip are you going on? This is my 4th cruise, but same as you, first to Alaska.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Popcorn & travelbliss - I am also going to Alaska in July. We are going on Royal Caribbean. It will be my first cruise!!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Favorite tips for a cruise to Alaska:

Bring clothing you can layer. You'll want to be outdoors with binoculars the day you spend cruising near the glacier, but it can be cold. Bring gloves and a hat, too. You may want to stand there for hours.

Also, when you get off the ship in a port, the weather can go from cool to warm, and layered clothing is the way to go there, too. Bring a rain coat or rain repellent jacket.

Be prepared to be able to read a newspaper out on deck at 11pm! The sky never really gets dark that time of year.

Sandy
Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Good tip about layering. Thanks! We are sailing on Carnival out of Anchorage on July 9. I am anxious to see the sun all evening. That will be a highlight for me!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:43 PM

Well I am going Alaska in May - 1st cruise and 1st time in AK. I will let you know what my experience was when I return. I am going on the Coral Princess. It will be interesting to compare the differnces between the cruiselines as well!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
We are sailing on Carnival out of Anchorage on July 9. I am anxious to see the sun all evening. That will be a highlight for me!
The sun goes down, but the sky never gets dark. It's sort of dusk until the sun comes up again. We had to pin the drapes of our Anchorage hotel room closed the night before the cruise, to try to get some sleep in a darkened room.

You'll have a great time.

Sandy
Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
We were in Alaska last July for 14 days and had a great time. Take as many side trips as you can afford. You never know when you'll be back. Oh yea, plenty of digitl pics too.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Tekdiva - my Alaskan cruise was in May - prepare for a range of weather - it was hot in Vancouver when we left (shorts weather) but there were places with snow, and there was ice in Glacier Bay. Layers of clothes, hat, gloves and a good raincoat that can be worn over a heavy sweater are essential. But again the evenings are long. I have a great sunset picture taken at midnight

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM

I was on an Alskan trip during July 20 odd years ago and much of the trip was frigid. I wonder if global warming has made it warmer during the summer?

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, caribbean, clothes, cruise, cruising, essential, experiences, july, line, norwegian, reviews, royal, side, trips