Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 PM

How far is the Juneau townsite from the ship dock?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:12 AM

When we were on the Oosterdam we were shuttled in, but on the Ryndam this year we were right downtown by the Red Dog Saloon.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:05 PM

Juneau - Glacier Trek via Helicopter - it was an incredible experience...and would do it again

Skagway - horseback riding in the Yukon territory. We booked this on our own, and it was amazing. Hard to say if we enjoyed this or the glacier trek better.

Ketchican - Fjords via float plane - we were booked, but were unable to take the flight because of a storm that came in that afternoon...but we plan to go back and not miss it next time.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:19 PM

Ive never been on a helicopter. I think that would be great. How long an excursion? Sorry, not much for horse back riding. Too bad about the float plane, I have read others that liked it.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 AM

would recommend the cruise and land tour if you have the time. The train ride up to Denali is a lot of fun and beautiful. We did that separate from a cruise so did not get all the way up to Fairbanks. We have sailed Holland America both times, once on the Oosterdam and this time on the Ryndam. Both cruises were great. My mom is now in a wheelchair and there was someone at every turn on the ships crew to help her. Anyway, here are some excursions I would recommend, depending on what ports you go to:

Juneau - Definitely the whale watching and Mendenhall glacier trip. Also take the tram up Mt. Roberts and visit the Red Dog Saloon.

Ketchikan - Rainforest walk, trolley ride through town and crab feed excursion (if you like to eat crab). There is also a walking tour that I want to do next time.

Sitka - Rainforest walk again. We didnt do much in Sitka.

Skagway - Highly recommend the White Pass and Yukon Railroad trip. We did the trip one way up, bus back down and then spent some time with the buss in Liarsville with a show and gold panning. Visit the Red Onion Saloon.

Seward - If you decide to get off the ship and do your own thing, I have a cousin who owns a B&B in Seward (Ocean Front B&B). She is on the shore of Resurrection Bay with a gorgeous view. You can sometimes see Orca and humback whales jumping in the bay.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:22 AM

The helicopter/glacier trek in Janeau was about 4 hours from start to finish. I had not been on a horse since I was a kid, and didn't think that I could do it, but it was so much fun, and they take you through the Yukon territory, and you stop to look at Emerald Lake....it was beautiful.

What ever you decide to do in Alaska will be a great experience. We hope to go back in a couple of years. Take care!
Old 11-05-2006, 12:17 PM

Ketchikan, lmao.

Submarines are no longer allowed to dock in Ketchikan, Alaska. This is because one time, a submarine docked there and most of the crew went out on shore liberty, and they all got drunk and trashed the town. The Captain had to write formal letters of apology to the city of Ketcikan and the state of Alaska. Now, the boat has to stay off shore and they send a little surface boat over to pick up small groups from the crew to go ashore, then that group comes back and another group goes ashore. lol

When we went to Ketchikan, we had a barbeque on the deck of the submarine, it was a lot warmer than I expected, though it was summer. Was about 62 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also, when the boat was underwater for testing, AT&T donated phone time for the crew and we were able to make 2 minute phone calls home, anywhere in the USA (there was a fibre optic line attached to the boat). I tried to call my dad but got my little sister, and she was unimpressed that I was calling from a submerged submarine. lol
Old 03-09-2007, 06:32 AM

Skagway: The Whitepass Railroad

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier
Inspiration 1998/Sun Vista 1999/Superstar Leo (Norwegian Spirit) 2000/Norwegian Wind 2001/European Vision (MSC Armonia) 2002/AIDA Cara 2003/AIDA Blu 2004 (2mal)/Voyager o.t. Seas 2005/Color Fantasy 2005/Norwegian Jewel 2006/Vision of the Seas 2006/MSC Opera 2007

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, caribbean, cruise, excursion, excursions, forum, join, juneau, land, review, reviews, royal, tour, tours