Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2003, 03:59 PM

Hi there,
My husband and I are experianced cruisers but we are thinking about going a little nicer for this trip as it will be without ou son. We are thinking of either Celebrity or Holland America though I have heard good things about the Coral Princess. We are mostly looking for a good cruise experiance and want good food, something lacking in our last half dozen cruises or so. Also, are there any ports that would be considered must see? We are not decided between north/southbound or inside passage. The ship is likely more important than the itinerary.
Kim
Old 03-07-2003, 03:59 PM

Hi there,
My husband and I are experianced cruisers but we are thinking about going a little nicer for this trip as it will be without ou son. We are thinking of either Celebrity or Holland America though I have heard good things about the Coral Princess. We are mostly looking for a good cruise experiance and want good food, something lacking in our last half dozen cruises or so. Also, are there any ports that would be considered must see? We are not decided between north/southbound or inside passage. The ship is likely more important than the itinerary.
Kim
Old 03-09-2003, 07:53 AM

All cruise lines will do a good job in Alaska. Princess and Holland have been there longer than the other lines.

I think you may be surprised at the ports in Alaska and find you may want to do a few things in port. Alaska is extremely beautiful. The sight of glaciers can amaze you. I have cruised Alaska multiple times and will continue to do so. I always find new and interesting things to do in Alaska.

The views from the Whitepass Railway in Skagway are well worth a trip. A whale watch in Juneau or taking a helicopter flight onto a glacier or just taking a trip out to the edge of a glacier are worth a try. In Ketchikan a trip to one of the Totem parks is very interesting as well as a harbor tour.

Depending on when you may cruise watching the salmon run or early in the cruise season seeing all the waterfalls can amaze you.

As far as food on the ships go you will have to decide which you prefer. IMHO that is a totally personal choice. Many say Celebrity has some of the best food but when I sailed them I did not find that to be the case.

For me if you cruise Alaska make sure you go all the way between Vancouver and Seward or you will miss some of the best views of Alaska even though the views are great in all of Alaska.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:34 AM

You should go southbound if you are on a cruise tour. Doing the land portion first keeps you from being tired if you cruised first.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:34 AM

To Mommykim: if you are looking for a cruise experience that will pamper you, depending on your budget, don't overlook Crystal Cruises. They have a luxury atmosphere, and also cruise in Alaska. You might also consider sailing on Pacific Princess, if they are offering Alaska cruises on her next year; this year she does an 11-day roundtrip to Alaska from San Francisco. Very nice ship; I've heard lots of good about her when she used to be a Renaissance cruise ship. All of the above advice I also agree with - especially the food seems to be very much an individual judgement. In any case, do plan to enjoy the scenery and the ports - Alaska cruising is not like cruising in the Caribbean! There is literally always something to see outside the ship!
Old 05-13-2003, 05:48 PM

Do consider Radisson as well. Their Navigator has a whole summer season in Alaska. Ships only holds about 500 pax. Service and food are sublime on RSSC, and it is almost an all-inclusive ship - no tipping, and barsetups in your room. The only negative thing about cruising from San Francisco is the possibility of rough seas - remember you are in oopen ocean, and if you are at all susceptable to seasickness you might not want to begin from there. Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:14 PM

Radisson Seven Seas Mariner is also doing Alaska. We're doing an Alaskan-Pacific Northwest cruise in September, that leaves from Vancouver, and arrives in San Francisco. It's pricier than we're used to, but feel like being pampered this time around. Of course, Seven Seas was the first all-suite ship, and holds 700 people only.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:32 PM

Of course, Mariner is what I meant to say! All of these ship names, I get confused sometimes....can't go wrong with Radisson.

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, alaska, cruise, cruising, francisco, juneau, morthwest, pacific, passages, rough, san, seas, seasick, taking, watching, whale