Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 05:13 AM

We've never been to Canada, so we're going to visit Vancouver a few days before boarding RCI for our cruise. Even though they have their own currency, do they use/accept US currency in Canada? Also, any advice on what to see while in Vancouver? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 AM

We're going there for the 1st time ourselves in Sept., so everything I'm telling you is what I've read in travel books I got at the library. We were in Niagara Falls Canada 2 years ago, & I'm fairly certain they took American money, but not sure now.

The Capilano Suspension Bridge looks like a neat place to check out in Vancouver; however, it's not free. The Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge park does not charge admission. Stanley Park looked like a nice, pretty area to walk around in. Also, my travel agent says Robson Street has lots of shopping.

Hope this helps. We are looking forward to seeing this city also the day before our cruise leaves.

MsChas
Old 05-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Spent 2 nights in Vancouver last summer and we're leaving from there mid June on H/A. I exchanged dollars while there at a bank, also saw exchange places downtown, tried to use credit card when possible. Message boards say US Dollars can be used, expect the exchange rate will vary.

Stanley Park was good, went to the aquarium. Walked around downtown(robson st) one night. Highly recommend Granville Island Public Market. Taking the Water Taxi from south downtown is half the fun, there was a nice hole n the wall fish n chips place round the small bay in back of the market that had some great halibut.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM

The value of the Canadian dollar has been rising against the US dollar so while almost everyone here will take US money don't expect the 8 -10% premium in your change which will be in Canadian money.
The best way to get the proper exchange rate is to use credit cards or to exchange money at a bank or one of the many money exchange places around the city.

The sites mentioned are all good. There is a tremendous choice of restaurants if you like eating ethnic foods or seafood. One thing that a lot of tourists notice about Vancouver is the number of panhandlers on the street. Most of them are harmless but we aren't proud of them.
I believe RCI uses Ballantyne Pier. The pier itself is safe but you should take a taxi to get there - do not walk downtown to or from Ballantyne as it is a rough area. Canada Place pier on the other hand is in a very safe but congested area.
The main downtown and tourist areas are very safe but take the same precautions you would in any large US city.

There is also a lot of road construction in Vancouver due to the expansion of the subway out to the airport.

Have fun in Vancouver and please spend lots of money ;-)
February 2004 - Grand Princess - W. Caribbean
March 2007 - RCI Voyager of the Seas - E. Caribbean
May 2007 - RCI Voyager of the Seas - Western Mediterranean (Mrs. E. & daughter only - I had a medical emergency)
October 2007 - RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM

Hello

E...could you please recommend a neighborhood or area of Vancouver where we can stay one night before our HAL cruise to Alaska. I have been to Vancouver twice and the last time we stayed in the Richmond neighborhood. However, this area has gotten very pricey for a one night stay. We'll have a car and I am willing to drive to the outskirts of Vancouver to stay in a pleasant and interesting area where the hotels will be nice and hopefully reasonable.

Any other suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Fred
Old 06-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Gastown looked interesting when we were there and was within walking distance to the HAL ship we boarded. Are you going on the Ryndam?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Another thing to remember - US Money is accepted at the official exchange rate at all Canadian Banks - but US coins are legal tender at face value only in Canada (unless they are 1 dollar coins)

Most places in Canada will accept US money, but will give you less than the offical exchange rate - they will then give you your change in Canadian

US$1.00 bill = $1.06 Cdn
4 US QUARTERS = $1.00 CDN

$1.00 CDN = $0.9432 US

- IT was really bad in 2002 when the Cdn dollar was worth 0.62 US and a US Dollar cost $1.62CDN -

Closed Thread

Tags
american, canada, canadian, cruise, currency, exchange, exchnage, money, pier, powered, rate, rci, richmond, vancouver, vbulletin