Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Hello Alaska fans,

My heart is telling me to forget everything else, get to Anchorage early and go to the Arctic Circle. I want to see Mt.McKinley, too. Suggestions? Warnings? When am I ever going to get to Alaska again? Probably never. I need to do this and want to do it right.

Thank you,
Popcorn Pam
Old 03-13-2008, 02:14 PM

Ok Pam, help us out here... forget everything else? What do you mean by that? The Cruise is not going to take you anywhere near the arctic cricle. Going there is an entirely different kind of trip. I would say that would be classified as an expedition.

As far as Mt McKinley goes, you can go to Anchroage a couple of days before and take a trip to see it. But getting to the circle is something completely different.

Warnings? Don't huge the bears... they don't like it.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Okay sorry I got carried away!
We are supposed to go to a convention for our company after the cruise but I would rather spend the money on an excursion to the Arctic Circle. Or Barrow! It would be quite a trip but I've looked online and found a two day trip from Anchorage or Fairbanks to Barrow for the same money it would cost us to go to the convention.

So basically what I'm saying is that I would rather experience Alaska than go to a convention with a bunch a people I don't know.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 PM

I definately would go to Barrow, and skip the convention. We are planning a big Alaska trip, in the winter of 2011 or 2012. We are going to see the Northern Lights, and they will be their peak again starting 2011 or so, when the sun starts its next peak solar cycle. We will definately be going to Barrow. Barrow is right on the Artic Ocean, and not many people can say they have seen that. Anyways, another cool place I found during my research is the Bettles Lodge, it is in Bettles, Alaska. It is above the Artic circle. You can only get there by flying in, I think that goes for the summer too. Prices are pretty steep, but what an adventure. My aunt and uncle lived in Barrow for several years, he flies helicopters, they LOVED it. Well, good luck with your adventure. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, arctic, artic, bettles, circle, convention, cruise, cruisereview, cruises, cruising, forum, lartic, lines, lodge, reviews, tour