Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2004, 11:35 AM

I have a question. I have NO idea what type of clothes to bring on an Alaskan cruise in June. I see pictures of people wearing shorts and then see posts that say bring a winter jacket. How heavy of a jacket do I bring? How cold will it be? Is it sweater weather? Do people really swim when it's that cold? What else do I "Need" to bring? Any help would be great!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:45 PM

First of all, it depends on where you are from, as to how many heavy clothes you should bring. If you live in the South and are not used to cool weather, you should plan to bring more warm clothes than someone who is from, say, New England.

Personally, I suggest bringing layers: t-shirts (including some longsleeved), sweatshirt or warm pullover sweater, windbreaker, rain slicker or poncho, and something like a vest or jacket made of fleece. If you want to spend the money on rain pants (which are made to be worn over jeans or other slacks), they are worth the investment, not just to keep you dry, but as windbreakers for your legs. And don't forget a hat or earband, sunglasses, rain hat or hood, camera (with plenty of film or memory sticks) and binoculars! Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:33 PM

lol. I live in Buffalo, NY. I should be ok.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:35 PM

Been twice to Alaska. LAYERS for sure.
Never brought a heavy winter coat, I am from Connecticut. Did fine with a fleece jacket & vest. Some did wear shorts even on the days when it 70, along with swimming. The Alaska weather has been up & down this season. The week before I went it was in the 80s!!!
Have fun!!
Old 09-11-2004, 05:51 AM

Littlelulu,
I never liked the "layers" answer that everyone always recommended, so let me get a little more specific: on shore every day, jeans are the way to go. For the top, start out with a short sleeve shirt then add a sweatshirt and a windbreaker. This will be fine for just walking around the ports. However, IF you are planning any excursions that include whale watching, glacier trekking, or anything where you will be in the wind, take a parka, gloves, and a head cover! You will even need them when you are watching the glaciers from your ship, especially if you check out the glaciers from the bow observation deck, where you can see both sides of the shi at one time. Have a great time!
Old 09-12-2004, 12:57 PM

very helpful. Thank you!

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, bring, coat, cruise, jacket, jackets, jeans, june, juner, kind, pictures, type, wear, winter