Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Gary
Thanks for the pictures. We can't wait to leave and see green trees.

Sherry S.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM

Sherry,

I saw the clam bake but your on a cruise .. you will be eating non stop anyway. The train is great but why not break it up and take the train to the top and a bike ride all the way down? It's a blast !!! Zip line is Jeneau is fun as you fly over an old gold mine.

Have fun!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 PM

When we were in Skagway in May we did an excursion which was a bus into the Yukon and returned on the White Pass Railroad. It was long ride, but we really enjoyed it. Our bus driver pulled onto the shoulder to view a bear walking along the road. When we got out at the Yukon sign, we saw mountain goats on the mountains. Emerald Lake was beautiful. The train ride was amazing. We sat at the back of the car, which gave us easy access to the open platform.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Gary would you please give a short tutorial on how to post photos? I'm trying. It doesn't work. Bummer.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator

As promised, I'm posting my thoughts on the Juneau salmon bake... SUPERB! We did this as part of a larger tour (booked through HAL) that included Mendenhall Glacier. When we arrived at the salmon bake, we started with delicious chowder, followed by a buffet that included cole slaw, rice, baked beans, and cornbread. There was pie for dessert, and lemonade, water, coffee and tea to drink. Beer was available for a fee. We took the walk Gary suggested and it was wonderful. The stream was filled with salmon (it was spawning season).

We also loved Mendenhall Glacier. We were there for about 75 minutes, and that was enough time to walk a short trail for lots of photos and to view the visitors center. The glacier is impressive. While waiting to board the bus back to the ship, we saw a couple of baby bears and their Mama in the woods.

As for our other tours -- I agree with billybuzzy on the White Pass/Yukon tour -- it was our favorite. In Ketchikan, we took the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer boat ride. We didn't have much luck seeing wildlife, just a few bald eagles, yet we really lucked out with the weather and were therefore had tremendous views of the incredible scenery there.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks LisaP

We leave in 14 days for Seattle. 15 until we are on the ship.

Sherry S.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, excursion, explorer, fjords, float, glacier, mendenhall, misty, princess, salmon, season, spawning, trips, wilderness